Author Topic: What have you bought for your Mk8?  (Read 52813 times)

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you bought for your Mk8?
« Reply #390 on: 23 April 2023, 19:35 »
Very nice   :cool:
My car is awaiting collected at port. I will wait until 1st May now.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #391 on: 24 April 2023, 18:57 »

I really thought I'd be pushing 40mpg, but my main motivation for chopping in the Cupra Born for this was so my monthly(ish) commute to MK doesn't involve having to stop every 1.5 to 2 hours for a 40 minute wait to recharge, at a cost of 25p a mile. Winter motorway range on EVs is truly sh!te. Look forward to the car ticking over 620 miles (1000 km) when it unlocks most, if not all the output.

I reckon on a steady run down to MK you’ll manage 40mpg reasonably easily unless you’re really tanking on.

My lad’s 2021 A3 doesn’t suffer bongs like my Golf does. He gets occasional reboots of the media unit on the fly for no apparent reason but that’s about all.

Not long to wait, at nearly £600 a year for road tax I can see why!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #392 on: 24 April 2023, 19:23 »

I really thought I'd be pushing 40mpg, but my main motivation for chopping in the Cupra Born for this was so my monthly(ish) commute to MK doesn't involve having to stop every 1.5 to 2 hours for a 40 minute wait to recharge, at a cost of 25p a mile. Winter motorway range on EVs is truly sh!te. Look forward to the car ticking over 620 miles (1000 km) when it unlocks most, if not all the output.

I reckon on a steady run down to MK you’ll manage 40mpg reasonably easily unless you’re really tanking on.

My lad’s 2021 A3 doesn’t suffer bongs like my Golf does. He gets occasional reboots of the media unit on the fly for no apparent reason but that’s about all.

Not long to wait, at nearly £600 a year for road tax I can see why!

Only 1 possible gremlin so far. My radio favourites have been forgotten. I did set them up before I finished setting up the "My Audi" app, so maybe they're still there as a guest, but not for my newly created profile?

Still waiting for my 3M sticky pads to refit my Thinkware dashcams. I also need to fit the puddle lights as they were in a box in the glovebox, along with a big chunky 300odd page printed user manual- haven't seen one of those with a VAG car for a while.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #393 on: 24 April 2023, 21:16 »
Not original but I fitted a RacingLine bonnet strut to my Mk 8. A two minute job.

Pity the AliExpress black mirror caps wouldn’t fit as well. I have now broken several clips on the driver’s side trying to get them on.  :angry: Cheap crap but to my knowledge there are no oem VW black caps with side assist available. Note the lovely engine cover! Not.

Good job I looked at this photo. I had left my ratchet and socket inside!

I recently fitted gloss black mirror caps from AliExpress, the ones I received are very good quality to be fair, and with the right pick tool I was able to fit them in 5-10 minutes without removing the glass either👌 the most difficult part was swapping over the side assist light.
« Last Edit: 25 April 2023, 21:33 by Carlosfandango »
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #394 on: 28 April 2023, 21:53 »
Taking the glass off is easy, takes about 30 seconds to remove or refit. I have fitted the passenger side which was relatively easy. I have since broken the inside clip on the mirror cap on the driver's side (twice). The last time it had locked on so tight that when I was trying to get the outside clip to lock, the inside clip broke off. I also used a pick to pull the mirror cap on to the wing mirror housing. I have now got a different colour of mirror cap on either side that I have decided to leave alone. I am not sure which I prefer. Different!   :laugh:
« Last Edit: 28 April 2023, 21:55 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #395 on: 05 May 2023, 10:26 »
I bought Mk 8 R DSG paddles from the Czech Republic using a link provided by Carl_45. Arrived in 8 days. It will probably be 10 days before I get them on. I think sometimes they’ll be easier to use than the standard paddles. I swapped the paddles between steering wheels on my 7.5 a couple of times so I’ll give it a go.

« Last Edit: 05 May 2023, 12:44 by Ceefeesh »

Offline simonwhite2000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #396 on: 05 May 2023, 16:06 »
I bought Mk 8 R DSG paddles from the Czech Republic using a link provided by Carl_45. Arrived in 8 days. It will probably be 10 days before I get them on. I think sometimes they’ll be easier to use than the standard paddles. I swapped the paddles between steering wheels on my 7.5 a couple of times so I’ll give it a go.

Still need to do mine. Let me know how you get on
Awaiting: Mk8 GTI CS
2020: BMW 840 Gran Coupe
2017: Audi B9 S5 Coupe
2014: Mk7 Golf R manual

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #397 on: 18 May 2023, 20:09 »
Tractordave: did you get your dashcam fully done in the end? I only just got my rear camera sorted after pulling a load of Erwin assembly instructions on an hour's subscription - PM if you need anything - the trim in and around the boot was a total bugger to access the tailgate wiring rubber gaiters and feed the rear cam lead through. Worst/fiddliest rear cam fitment I have done.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #398 on: 19 May 2023, 07:24 »
Tractordave: did you get your dashcam fully done in the end? I only just got my rear camera sorted after pulling a load of Erwin assembly instructions on an hour's subscription - PM if you need anything - the trim in and around the boot was a total bugger to access the tailgate wiring rubber gaiters and feed the rear cam lead through. Worst/fiddliest rear cam fitment I have done.

Yes, all done no problem. I didn't fit a rear view camera. Just the front facing one. The fuse box was almost identical on the Rs and I just copied the cable route and piggy back fuse as used on the Golf. I did have to buy a new sticky pad set as the aftermarket one I tried lasted three days. Genuine nexbase one from Amazon seems good.
Interesting the the garage sold my R for top money within a week!

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #399 on: 23 May 2023, 20:34 »
These arrived today and tomorrow I’ll try them to ensure they fit. The centre caps came from Germany and took six days to arrive. I also have my R paddles fitted except I have to refit the airbag, which is also tomorrow. I’ll post when I have it finished.

« Last Edit: 23 May 2023, 22:04 by EngineCover »