Author Topic: Mk8 operational tips and tricks  (Read 8960 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Mk8 operational tips and tricks
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2022, 08:54 »
I don't mind stop start. It's the auto-restart I'm not keen on.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference?

I think auto-restart is where your car’s engine starts automatically when a stationary vehicle in front of yours moves off.

Yes, that's what I'm referring to. It's probably the worst feature of the 7.5 IMO.

Was hoping VW boffins would've recognised this when developing the Mk8.
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2022, 08:56 »
I think I’ve always been a lone voice (nothing unusual there) but actually quite like stop start and auto-restart. Pumping fumes when stationary isn’t something I’m keen on, particularly in urban areas. The system seems to work well enough though, I tend to zone out when sat stationary, taking in my surroundings and that nice shudder as the car kicks back into life leads to a quick check of the mirrors etc and ready for action again. Whether it reduces fuel use or overall emissions I don’t know but it is a good idea in theory.
Occasionally it stops the engine a little too early before the car has actually stopped when I’m not even stopping (just slowing for something) but generally it’s much improved from previous generations.

And as Joe says, it doesn’t seem to do it in Sport mode.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2022, 10:50 »
So, is it still the same in the Mk8 as the Mk7.5 then?
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2022, 15:34 »
The only 7.5 DSG I drove was my TCR, the rest all manuals. It seems similar from memory.
The engine in the mk8 does fire up quickly as soon as a car in front moves even slightly. Keeping the brake depressed shuts it off again (I think so anyway, it’s hard to remember as things just become instinct after a while so not really noticed).
If anyone wants me to test any settings let me know as I have a fair bit of mixed driving ahead on Monday.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #24 on: 22 May 2022, 16:22 »

Yes.

Is it really a problem though???

It starts so you can move...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 22 May 2022, 17:28 »

Yes.

Is it really a problem though???

It starts so you can move...

But what about the times it restarts when I don't want to move? Or can barely move? Like in crawling traffic when the car in front edges forward about 2 feet. Thought stop start was supposed to save fuel and reduce emissions? Neither of which will happen if my engine restarts for no reason.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #26 on: 22 May 2022, 18:30 »
Turn travel assist on, it will move for you when it can  :whistle:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 22 May 2022, 20:08 »
Mine's a manual.

I'd rather choose when to move. I don't want it to be decided for me.
7.5 GTD

Offline Ruby22

• Just got here
« Reply #28 on: 08 July 2022, 11:17 »
I rarely notice stop start kicking in on my car. Possibly because I almost always have the gearbox in Sport mode (or manual) and I think that prevents it.
I took mine back to vw as it hardly ever stopped the engine when at lights etc (it came on 10 times in 2.5k miles). Turns out the battery in the stop start was not configured correctly. This was only yesterday so yet to see if the issue is now resolved.

Ruby.

Offline mynameiskris

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 20 July 2022, 13:19 »
I don't know if any of you have experienced this but using wireless Apple Carplay in conjunction with Apple Music kept pausing part way through a song, only to resume a minute or so later and then stop again. While this was happening, the little buffer wheel was spinning next to the play next UI. Even though my phone had a full 4G signal.

I found a fix for this. Apparently, Carplay is trying to default back to the car's E-Sim. When it can't establish an internet connection it goes back to the phone's internet connection, rinse and repeat.

Fix 1: Buy some data with Cubic Telecom so the car's E-Sim has some data. Alternatively, if you haven't already, activate your free 1Gb data pack which is what I did and Apple Music works like a charm.

Fix 2: Go into the infotainment settings and disable the E-sim. Then Carplay will not try to connect to the car's internet. Apparently, you can still use navigation and remote software updates with the E-Sim disabled but I haven't tried this yet.

Hope this helps someone as I have been ripping my hair out over it.
Current:
2021/22 Golf GTI, Manual, Pure White, Adelaide, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.