Author Topic: What I did Sunday (With Pics!)  (Read 3789 times)

NewGolf

What I did Sunday (With Pics!)
« on: 17 August 2008, 18:12 »
Ok so TC reckons I have a Vauxhall  :laugh:

Weather was cloudy, but warm, so its time to give the GTI a good going over.
I took her brake disks off and sprayed them yesterday as they were getting rusty again, so they look good as new now, not sure how long they will last though.

Ok so gave her a wash with Elite Snow Foam, let it soak for a while, then used a grit guard bucket and a wash mitt to get rid of anything left.

While I was at it, I took a pic of a classic GTI design fault which is getting fixed this week.

Rear Brake LED which was full of water until I opened the boot  :sad:

I cleaned the wheels yesterday when I took all 4 off and sorted out the brake disks, but normally use Hot Rims after wetting the wheels first as its a top product IMO.

Pulled all the products I would use today and put them close at hand. It was a Zaino day today, using the polish Z2 first, then Z6 and finishing off with Z8. I have heard lots about this and it came recommended to me by 182_Blue.

I was also going to give all the rubber seals a going over with Zymol Seal, the tyres with Zymol Tyre Preserve, wheels with Poorboys sealant then a coat of P21S carnuba. Also going to give the leather a spruce up with Zymol Treat.

A good friend of mine sent me 24 MF cloths from Costco, cost him about a tenner. Bargain!

So gave the GTI a going over with Zaino Z2. Easy on and easy off!  :smiley: Made the black look really deep, and I was quite impressed already!

^^^Shes all hazed up here while I went and had some lunch  :wink:

Left it 15 mins as per instructions, then buffed it off with Megs polishing towels. Came off really easy.

Z6 next, smells great and very easy to use. Did the whole car then left it an hour before getting out the Z8! The Z8 was even easier to use, and what a result. You have to try it for yourselves as my poor photography skills wont do it justice.

The whole bodywork feels silky smooth now! I can now see why many people have been recommending Zaino, it really does give great results. Its very easy to use, doesn't produce any powder when removing and doesnt stain rubber trim. Very impressed here. I'll keep an eye on it to see how long it lasts compared to a traditional wax.

Gave the wheels another coat of Poorboys sealant topped off with P21S. Treated the tyres to some Zymol Tyre Preserve. I cant recommend this stuff highly enough. Its expensive, but lasts ages. I use it on all exterior plastic and on plastic engine parts, makes them look like new.

The day went really fast as I always enjoy getting the car looking like new. I had a beer to celebrate!

A couple of extra pics.

:smiley:

Offline SteveP

• I live here
Re: What I did Sunday (With Pics!)
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2008, 18:16 »
Looks great NewGolf.  :cool:

I think I will be getting some of the zymol tyre preserve to add to my collection as well sounds like great stuff.

I am sure TC will still have some remarks for you.  :laugh:

NewGolf

« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2008, 18:18 »
Thanks SteveP

Got mine from monzacarcare, it really is top stuff  :smiley:

Funnily enough I was because of TC's detailing that I bought it, his car looked so good. I contacted the place that supply the detailer he used, and got it from there.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2008, 19:49 by NewGolf »

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2008, 19:27 »
looks  :cool:

you had better weather than me - hadn't finished drying the car before it started raining  :angry: :rolleyes:

there went my plans of getting a layer of Purple Haze on  :angry:

Offline Top Cat

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2008, 20:00 »
HOLY BAT CAVE               HOLY BAT CAVE               HOLY BAT CAVE               

Well ! knock me F*ckin over
I never doubted your ocd for a second.  :cool:
PS in the 4th pic is that a reflection of your astra i see  :smug:

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2008, 20:21 »
Looks superb mate, it reminds me i must get my hubs painted  :nerd:

Offline SteveP

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2008, 20:24 »
Looks superb mate, it reminds me i must get my hubs painted  :nerd:

Good point, the rear hubs look as good as new.  :smiley:

What paint did you use NewGolf?

Offline Greenouse

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2008, 22:06 »
Stunning NewGolf  :cool: :cool:

Looks like it's just driven off the production line!! Need to get my bells done as after 2300k they are starting to look more orange than silver!!! (thanks Markymark for pointing that out today  :wink:)

As above, what did you use on yours??

You mentioned you waxed your wheels after you'd used poorboys wheel sealant? Is that right? I did it the other way round today............ also buffed up my pinking calipers  :smug:

NewGolf

« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2008, 07:55 »
Thanks for the praise guys   :smiley:

I took the disks off, wirebrushed all the old paint and rust off, then cleaned them with Wurth disk/brake cleaner. I used Hammerite Smooth silver spray, giving 2 thin coats with the disk masked up. To do the edges, I sat the disk ontop of the Wurth disk cleaner spray can, that way I could turn it around slowly.  :wink:

To get the disks off, I used this thread

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40013&highlight=rear+brake+pad

The 21mm bolts are a rear bar steward to get undone, so make sure your cars on axle stands at you'll need to really yank them to get them undone.  :undecided:
Dont just sit it on the standard jack ( widowmaker) as it'll fall over.  :sad:

The silver is spot on. looks just like new.

NewGolf

« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2008, 07:57 »
Stunning NewGolf  :cool: :cool:

Looks like it's just driven off the production line!! Need to get my bells done as after 2300k they are starting to look more orange than silver!!! (thanks Markymark for pointing that out today  :wink:)

As above, what did you use on yours??

You mentioned you waxed your wheels after you'd used poorboys wheel sealant? Is that right? I did it the other way round today............ also buffed up my pinking calipers  :smug:

I put the P21S wax ontop of the wheel sealant, it seems to last a lot longer this way, and the wheel sealant didnt seem to go on to well over the wax. Makes the calipers and wheels real easy to clean.  :smiley: