Author Topic: New Headunit is in  (Read 1586 times)

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
New Headunit is in
« on: 31 July 2009, 20:36 »
I went ahead despite not getting any feedback from anyone :lipsrsealed:

Anyways, i got the Alpine CDE W203Ri, and went for the SPG 17CS components up front. 
The clarity of the whole system has improved, but I forgot that the front set up was a 3way split of low end, mid, and then tweeters by the bloody wing mirrors. Doh! So, I've been told that the original mid range and tweeter have had to stay in place.  This is apparently due to the OEM mid range and tweeter being linked on the same output wiring so the component can't be immediately split.  That leaves the low/mid end component doing solely the bass range at present...Still and improvement but at louder volumes the mix up can be heard...although still louder than OEM and clearer.  I've also ran the cables for the sub but need to decide if i'm going for a straight across the back seats install or if I dare do the fibre glass wheel well...although looking at sizing, i still dunno if my Kicker Comp 15" would fit :undecided:

Heres the headunit with a good matching Double Din fascia surround fitting kit....not a Connect2 one, but one that comes with the Pioneer gear interestingly. :cool: got space for a quick dump of tunes onto a memory stick as well...so that might prove handy if bobbing out to mates and not updating the iPod.

Edition 30 / T5 T32 Kombi

Offline B-chi

• I live here
Re: New Headunit is in
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2009, 09:38 »
Looks good mate. I replied to your other post about comps (I haven't had any experience about that hu, sorry). With your cabling, hu to crossover, then crossover to relative speaker, unless it's like oem comps which goes into 1 then out to another through a series of resistor thingies (technical aren't I) to limit which frequencies go where (like a seperate crossover). Also just realised yours is mk5, mines mk3. I know I am a tard!

Sorry if that seems cnfusing or don't make sense I'm I a pretty hot bath & can't concentrate. 

Offline russ-vdub

• I live here
  • Once a Dub, Always a Dub
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2009, 14:06 »

Offline DanoGTI

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2009, 15:34 »
Really nice mate - didn't see the post about the speakers  :shocked:

The head unit I'm not too clued up on either!! However, I'm interested (pleased) to hear that the sound over OEM is better.

Still waiting to sort mine out tbh - but bills/life as put pay to that this month! Next month maybe - RCD300 sh1tness resumes!!!  :sad:

Dan

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2009, 08:19 »
well....alll is not over yet...the comps may be taken out yet as they are now underpowered as the hu is only 50w max and the speakers are 280w max :shocked: installers sucked.  Also the 3way speakers upfront are already using a crossover and the mid range is 12.5 in size...not 12 or 13 like normal so would need a custom collar to fit a 12 in.

Its back in next week, so i'll keep you posted but the mkv.com lot are knowledgable and would set you straight...if only i'd posted up and got a full run down prior :cry: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95824&goto=newpost

Offline B-chi

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2009, 10:05 »
When using power ratings your better off using rms, more accurate.

As long as the speakers aren't being run into distortion they should be fine.

A 1000wrms amp will only put out 1000wrms when at full power at lower power it will put out less, so your 28wrms hu amp will be like a more powerfull amp running at low power.

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2009, 10:31 »
but you are forgetting that all sound signals clip if they don't get a full signal, and it is the clipping that produces pops etc in the sound but it is these that are damaging to the speakers...moreover...i was told that the speakers would sound spot on all be it not that loud when run off the hu...and they are aren't...i'm still missing anything under 80hz...as i ran a frequency test on the system...now i reckon that these components should be able to hit at least as low as 65-70z where you get a lot of the resonating bass...obv anything lower than that is best left to a "proper" sub speaker. 

its the prinicipal that for the first time i have listened to an installer rather than do everything myself, and the wiring still seems to be off...it does appear that they have split to the original factory cabling into the door to the mid but then looped/spliced it along to the components crossover and on from there.  This makes perfect sense that the sound will be sh!t as the speakers are at diff ohm ratings, and will be getting feedback from the full signal and the crossover signal!?!?!? 

Bet troublestarter would shed some light on this?