Author Topic: Hot starting problem (MK1_BOY)  (Read 12188 times)

Offline MK1_BOY

• Here all the time
  • Low Low bored out MK1 Golf GTI Campaign.
Re:Hot starting problem (MK1_BOY)
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2003, 13:38 »
Ok boys, here's the latest.. I tried to replace the metering unit the other day with one form a d reg gti we had, looked the from 1st glance but at a closer look its got a few differences, maybe could of adapted it but want to keep as much mk1 as possible, plus i was really oily and nasty.  I decided to swap the bar that stops the air sensor plate from declining to far into the cone, oh year, broke the clip on mine trying to adjust it >:(..  Rich noticed the other day that the bar was the opposite way round on his unit, I swapped mine round so the tiny pin now makes contact with the metal arm now..  It seems to have problems starting full stop now, try once for about 5 seconds, nothing, 2nd time just about chugs into action, then when I go for a spin it splutters in high revs  >:( >:( Good news is it seems to be starting when its hot same as when its cold so sort of fixed a problem..  Got home in it today and replaced the ignition coil with MK2 one, no better..  Someone please help me, I seem to be loosing my will to live now, Just want to take her out, its so nice out there and I'm at home on the internet... :'(
Race ya...

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2003, 14:46 »
You gotta look at that check valve Marcus. We've had too many people suggest it to ignore it. Feel free to come over...........I'm here all day.

My electric window switches are all done. I'm now fitting some speakers and wiring up the stereo and VDO gauges.

Hottest day ever today.  8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: 10 August 2003, 14:47 by richandhazel »

Offline MK1_BOY

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2003, 18:15 »
Is very very very hot dude..  went rounds bens old house and been in the pool, nice, then a nice air con car to get me home, been lovely...  anyhoo, which valve is the non return valve, tried looking in my Hates manual but you know what there like >:( ???  Would have come over mate but I dont think my car will make it over to your, seems to misfire as soon as I go out in it and gets worse, didnt even make it round the block the other day. :'( Is a sorry state of affairs..  
Race ya...

Offline MK1 BRONK

• Just got here
« Reply #13 on: 11 August 2003, 22:00 »
DO YOU HAVE A FILTER BETWEEN THE TANK AND PUMP?
IF YOU DONT OR PREVIOUS IT DIDN'T YOU COULD HAVE ALL MANNER OF STUFF IN THERE. (RUST) YOU CAN REBUILD YOUR METERING HEAD... I DID  ;D THERE IS A FINE MESH GAUZE IN THE MIDDLE, MINE HAD RUST PARTICLES IN IT. >:( BUT BE CAREFULL WITH TOP FUEL OUTLET CONNECTORS AS THEY ARE SOFT & KEEP THE TOO MATING SURFACES CLEAN. ON REBUILD MINE SEEPED FUEL FOR A SHORT WHILE THEN STOPPED. MUST HAVE THE FILTER THO.. TRUST ME. ;)

Offline MK1_BOY

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 17 August 2003, 20:10 »
Ok, We've sussed it, well Rich did...It turned out the be the tiny filter between the first fuel inlet pipe directly from the fuel tank to the fuel pump...  Just inside the fuel pipe theres a tiny filter and it was clogged up with loads and loads of cr*p...  Unbelievable, been out of action for about a month and it turns out to be a little bit of diry..  >:( :'( ???  Well I've heard about the fest, sound like there were a few good peps there, apart from techno freeks on Sat eve...  I could have been there, been thinking with Rich, would have been inbetween Adams and Riches car, Nice car Adam, not sure about all the sound equ Rich says you have in there, weighs the car down a little... But looks good Esp in the pics next to Riches car, and no pink Photos this time....  Anyhoo, look out for me at the next fest, I'll be there for sure....  Keep your ears peeled... ;)
Race ya...

Offline MK1_BOY

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 17 August 2003, 20:10 »
P.S - I'm so going out in her after Top Gear...
Race ya...

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 18 August 2003, 18:36 »
You're spot on mate, full credit to you ;). Whilst checking out Marcus's non return valve on the fuel pump we discovered the fuel pump inlet gauze was full of deposits/rust. Cleaned it all up and, touch wood, its all now behaving. Of course we now realise that this is leading us to another problem. Where the deposits came from in the first place. Looks like that fuel filler neck is going to need replacing ASAP.
Marcus, glad you're up and running now........sorry I didn't post last night, was just too tired and the pub was beckoning. Just sorting some stuff out with my website and the pictures will then follow soon.

DO YOU HAVE A FILTER BETWEEN THE TANK AND PUMP?
IF YOU DONT OR PREVIOUS IT DIDN'T YOU COULD HAVE ALL MANNER OF STUFF IN THERE. (RUST) YOU CAN REBUILD YOUR METERING HEAD... I DID  ;D THERE IS A FINE MESH GAUZE IN THE MIDDLE, MINE HAD RUST PARTICLES IN IT. >:( BUT BE CAREFULL WITH TOP FUEL OUTLET CONNECTORS AS THEY ARE SOFT & KEEP THE TOO MATING SURFACES CLEAN. ON REBUILD MINE SEEPED FUEL FOR A SHORT WHILE THEN STOPPED. MUST HAVE THE FILTER THO.. TRUST ME. ;)