Author Topic: Bird poop  (Read 5369 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Bird poop
« Reply #10 on: 07 June 2021, 14:57 »
I was going to say all that too but I was supposed to be working :whistle: :laugh:

@Watts; I’m fortunate that I no longer have to spend my days working (retired), hence why I had the time to put my response together :grin:.

@MrJollygood; I understand re. not going the professional detailer - doing a spot correction on the bonnet might show up other minor imperfections in the surrounding paintwork and that could lead to the temptation to get the whole car professionally polished which could be expensive. I also don’t think I’d be brave enough to use a heat source on my paintwork either!

Once you’ve polished to remove the etching, it should be fine to use either Dodo Juice wax or Gtechniq C2. And yes, please keep this thread updated to let us know how you get on.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 09 June 2021, 07:41 »
First of all I'm just going to say T-Cut and hand polishing won't break through your clear coat, unless it has previously been poorly resprayed. I use much heavier cutting compounds when polishing more sensitive areas of cars both by machine and hand, so I really wouldn't let that enter into your head.

If you have a cutting compound like t-cut sitting in the garage use it (After giving it a good shake), it really depends how badly the bird has etched the paint as to whether it will remove it. Definitely apply wax or sealant after it, that's what helps to protect your car from birds!

If you can't get it out, do mention it to a local detailer that has a fixed premises, it doesn't have to get expensive if you don't want it to! £20-30 would fix just that which is a lot cheaper than constantly looking at it and it annoying you  :wink: Also the price of polishes and cutting compounds now are generally expensive for good ones, if I recommended you one you'd be well past £20 for a bottle so it'll probably be cheaper to get a local detailer to do it!

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 10 June 2021, 19:12 »
Thanks to all who replied.

I was tempted by the heat method, then wussed out at the last moment. Instead I bought some Auto Glym Super Resin Polish (good reviews and a decent price) and gave it a go. With a bit of elbow grease and a couple of goes it appears to have done the job and removed the etching. I really thought it was going to be a re-spray or at best a localised repair by a professional so glad that it was relatively straight forward in the end.

Now all I can see is all the other, smaller etchings and swirl marks...

2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 10 June 2021, 20:27 »
Good result!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 10 June 2021, 21:33 »
There's a tiny, almost undetectable outline, I reckon another go with the polish will remove it. Yep good result for little hassle and little money. Not often it works out that way!
2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 10 June 2021, 22:30 »
Good result!

+1. Glad you were able to get a decent improvement without too much effort or expense :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl