Author Topic: Mk8 gti ordering  (Read 44581 times)

Offline spikeyboy22

• Not said much yet
Re: Mk8 gti ordering
« Reply #120 on: 04 November 2020, 07:10 »
The 19” Estoril wheels have been removed off the website .. I think some made a bo bo ...

Offline Ulysses31

• Not said much yet
« Reply #121 on: 06 November 2020, 15:10 »
They look identical to the R Spielberg alloys to me. Good to have more choice though.

Quite different when they’re seen side by side. Agree that it’s good to have more choice though.
Mk7.5R 19” Spielberg alloys;

Mk8 19” Estoril alloys;

Why oh why does VW (and other car manufacturers) persist in forcing diamond cut alloys on us! :angry:

And why do they insist on using directional designs, that turn clockwise on one side of the car and anti-clockwise on the other? I had to opt for the Santiagos, just for this reason.
White Golf GTI Mk7.5

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #122 on: 06 November 2020, 18:53 »
Just seen this finance example on a car on AT. Any wonder I think they’ll be hard to shift? What a terrible deal.

Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #123 on: 06 November 2020, 19:19 »
That is a poor deal if it's a standard car as it's only about £1k discount.

We know the size of the discounts available from brokers and how much margin is in the car, so people really need to push hard to make sure they don't overpay.

That said, with an interest rate of 5% above base rate PCP just doesn't look appealing even with a big discount. A standard car on PCH on the same terms is over £100 per month less and with only half the deposit. That's around £7k cheaper  :undecided:
7.5 GTD

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #124 on: 06 November 2020, 19:21 »
That is a poor deal if it's a standard car as it's only about £1k discount.

We know the size of the discounts available from brokers and how much margin is in the car, so people really need to push hard to make sure they don't overpay.

That said, with an interest rate of 5% above base rate PCP just doesn't look appealing even with a big discount. A standard car on PCH on the same terms is over £100 per month less and with only half the deposit. That's around £7k cheaper  :undecided:

Couldn’t agree more. Perhaps the PCP bubble has finally burst. It wasn’t going to last forever.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #125 on: 06 November 2020, 19:46 »
I don't know why anyone is surprised by these PCP quotes. We know the list rrp prices, we know the gfv's, we know the sort of dealer discount available, the vw contribution and the Apr. You can't alter maths.

This is 2021, it's eight years after the mk7. Guess what, its more expensive.

The only thing is that wages haven't gone up in line with, well, anything.
« Last Edit: 06 November 2020, 19:57 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #126 on: 06 November 2020, 20:51 »
All those things are true, but the problem I see with the quotes i've seen so far is an unspectacular PCP rate coupled with an artificially high list price and not much discount.

The difference between getting a £1k discount (i.e. nothing if we assume that's just the VW contribution) and a £5k discount is going to be about £125 per month over 3 years.

Not only would you not be getting the benefit of an extra £4k off at the front end, but you'll also be paying interest on the discount you didn't get for the next x number of years.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #127 on: 06 November 2020, 20:59 »
But as I said, you will find about 3k off and £1250 from vw.

Still leaves a big old pile of money to pay off and 5.9% is a terrible rate for right now.

It's the 4% increase in rrp each year since 2013 that's totally killed it. That makes about a third extra over 2013.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #128 on: 07 November 2020, 09:30 »
Yeah but I was pointing out that the quote above is not a good quote though and does not represent the best that is available. It's only £1k less than the 'standard' offering on the VW finance calculator.

Anyone that hasn't looked at a VW price list since 2013 would get a shock if they compared then to now, but in fairness there is mitigation.

Looking at my price list from Jan 2015 (so nearly 6 years ago) the GTi DSG 5dr with Performance Pack and 230ps listed at £29,645. The Mk8 with 245ps now lists at £34,960. A £5,315 difference (+18%), or £886 per year.

Bear in mind though that an early 2015 Mk7 had no sat nav, no keyless entry, no winter pack (yeah the Mk8 has no heated seats either), no App Connect, no digital dash, no matrix LED headlights.

VW aren't the only company to lift their prices. A Focus ST starts at £33,260. Not that much cheaper than the GTi. But where Ford and BMW are offering APR's below 3%, VW want 5%+. For me, that's the killer.  :sad:
« Last Edit: 07 November 2020, 09:32 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

Offline st33ly

• Not said much yet
« Reply #129 on: 07 November 2020, 10:44 »
They look identical to the R Spielberg alloys to me. Good to have more choice though.

Quite different when they’re seen side by side. Agree that it’s good to have more choice though.
Mk7.5R 19” Spielberg alloys;

Mk8 19” Estoril alloys;

Why oh why does VW (and other car manufacturers) persist in forcing diamond cut alloys on us! :angry:

And why do they insist on using directional designs, that turn clockwise on one side of the car and anti-clockwise on the other? I had to opt for the Santiagos, just for this reason.

Is it me or do the Estoril wheels look very very similar to the SEAT CUPRA R wheels?