Author Topic: 1980 VW Golf LS - 1.3 G40 Turbo  (Read 26072 times)

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
Re: 1980 VW Golf LS - 1.3 G40 Turbo
« Reply #20 on: 05 July 2012, 17:41 »
yeah man i do! where abouts in notts? i have some mates in derby and im there at the end of july for a week, gonna be working on my mates derby in calverton, so if you can find out a price on the best wing (or set of wings) gen vw that they have, drop me a pm and if you could pick them up ill collect them when im down and buy you a beer for your troubles :)

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
Re: 1980 VW Golf LS - 1.3 G40 Turbo
« Reply #21 on: 13 July 2012, 02:08 »
Well last weekend was eventful, on Friday night in the work car park the car decided to have a hissy fit and misfiring. Cleaned out the dizzy cap n rotor arm and after a minute it cleared up and it was sweet again all way on the journey home, so I could have some scran and put my feet up!

Come the next morning and it's missing straight away, 2 minutes down the road and I've broken down, out of fuel. Doh! Was on the way to fill up! Tommy to the rescue in the mk1 cabby!

With the help of a few friends at polo show we stuck on diff coil, leads, cleaned up the plugs. Starts up sweet now as was good on the way back from Northampton bar sometimes just refusing to move under anything more than partial throttle, different gear. Changed the fuel pump for a new non vag one ( cheapo bm equivalent ) and it's still the same!

Ahhh well, Mot ran out today and I still hadn't managed to find time to do the welding so as it is my daily it's time to crack on!

Right I'm going to add these welding pictures with a disclaimer my welding isnt great but it's as good as I can manage at the minute and it's all experience. I'll eventually give this golfie a full resto at some point but I just want it to be mot friendly and it's got to be better than the rusty mess holding it together!

Here's the result of a couple of evenings work.

Bit annoyed at the pattern sill as the seller didn't package it appropriately so the bit I really wanted was damaged. But I can either repair it or use it as a template to make a new one

If anyone has a mk1 golf thatchams or bentley manual gimme a shout or pictures of how the inner sill should look!

The playground - unfortunately all the cars I own aare in that picture. Waaaaah!