Author Topic: Golf GTD v BMW 120d M-Sport  (Read 36187 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Golf GTD v BMW 120d M-Sport
« Reply #10 on: 16 December 2013, 18:37 »
For whatever reason, a vanilla 118d M Sport (143hp) was roughly comparable (in terms of cost) to the GTD and a vanilla 120d M Sport (181hp) was considerably more expensive than the GTD.

If I wanted to spec either the 118d or 120d to a similar level [to the GTD] I would be paying significantly more money each month (mine is a salary sacrifice scheme).

The reason is the noticeably higher residuals on the GTD - 56% GFV vs 47% on the 120D M Sport (36 month term both cases) last time I looked. That's probably looking at £85 a month more expensive including interest for the BMW.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline legin

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 16 December 2013, 19:16 »
Some really charitable BMW comments. Im a long term BMW fan boy M cars etc and current x3 owner but the 1 series is not a car Im a fan of. I was nearly persuaded by the M135i but in the end have gone GTD. Reason is the lack of space in the rear seats which for my requirements would mean it wouldn't get used for the family. The diesels are not on the map for me with rough engine and clunky gear change plus the rear end does a weird lateral shift on rough roads - based on driving a MK1 version I admit. Poor equipt levels and material quality on lower plastics. And then the looks - oh dear

Offline CR4ZYHOR5E

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 16 December 2013, 19:36 »
Some really charitable BMW comments. Im a long term BMW fan boy M cars etc and current x3 owner but the 1 series is not a car Im a fan of. I was nearly persuaded by the M135i but in the end have gone GTD. Reason is the lack of space in the rear seats which for my requirements would mean it wouldn't get used for the family. The diesels are not on the map for me with rough engine and clunky gear change plus the rear end does a weird lateral shift on rough roads - based on driving a MK1 version I admit. Poor equipt levels and material quality on lower plastics. And then the looks - oh dear

Personally I like the diesel unit in the 1 series, but I agree about the gear change…clunky sums it up quite well. The F20/21 (current model) 1 series is a good car - would certainly have no reservations about having another one.

On the looks…rumours are that it will receive a mid life upgrade (LCI) early in 2014, possibly even addressing the front lights.

Offline Pob17

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 16 December 2013, 19:56 »

Have to admit I like the looks, but understand they're not for everyone! The new A3 for example looks dull to me, but lots of people love it.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2013, 08:10 »
I think there's a difference between dull (A3, for some) and plain ugly (1 series, for many). The Golf isn't setting the world alight with its looks (it looks exactly how you'd expect a Golf to look), nor is it offensive to the eyes, and the sportier models are a little nicer to look at than the standard ones. In the main, the sporty BMW 1 series variants don't really stick out vs the standard ones. If the Golf gets any longer and lower it'll start to look like a 1 series.

Looks to me are important, I’d never consider a current BMW 1 series because I really don’t like the way they look. In the same way a MK6 was never in contention for me because they turned it into a rounded smiley Japanese-style caricature of a Golf (IMO) – it lost its sharp lines and aggressive (OK, not massively aggressive) front end that the MK5 GT Sport and GTI had which have thankfully been restored on the MK7. So glad the Scirocco came around when it did to fill the MK6 gap. I do like the A3 looks on a 3 door, not a fan of the 5 door Sportback though.

I also find the 2.0D BMW lump very unrefined when idling, nowhere near as quiet and smooth as a VAG unit.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 17 December 2013, 08:35 »
The 1 series Bread van looks got worse with the F20 series.

The MK5 is rounder looking than the MK6 from both the front and rear?

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 31 December 2013, 08:44 »
Has anyone with a GTD driven either the current Octavia VRS or Leon FR with the 184ps engine as a direct comparison?

2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline RobS23GTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 31 December 2013, 14:22 »
I'd be comparing the GTD to the 125d as then you're looking at both top of the range soot chuckers.

Also, for what it's worth, discounts are circa 20% on the BMW's v 10% on the Golfs (I would imagine?). That will bring the comparable cost down a few k if you're buying.

Sure I saw on BMW AUC the other day a 1 year old 125d up for around £21k.

Think I'd still punt for the GTD if I was after a diesel, but my MK6 is getting rattly as hell, not sure the build quality is what it used to be.
Current - Mk7 Golf GTI w/performance pack
Previous - VW Golf Mk6 GTD, Ford Fiesta ST, BMW M135i, VW Golf MK5 GTI

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 01 January 2014, 19:12 »
I'd be comparing the GTD to the 125d as then you're looking at both top of the range

I chose the 120d because it is a direct comparison and because I had one available...

125d, significantly more powerful and more expensive even taking into account the discounts.

We've been away in the 1er this week. It is sad really, it ought to be superb but the steering (with those Bridgestone tyres) is poor with no feel... And it needs a slippy diff...

With those fixed it would be excellent as it is, the Golf is the better car...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline fisco

• Just got here
« Reply #19 on: 11 March 2014, 22:48 »
Interesting reading, so I thought I would share my BMW experience... I bought a month old demo, Golf GT TDI back in 2009, well spec'd it was too, and ran that for just over 3 years, loved the car, but for some reason I fancied a BMW 123D. I finally got my hands on a late 2010 plate, well spec'd 3 door, but within a week I wished I hadn't. Its a quality car, great seats, faultless quality interior, I just hated the ride, and the clunky gearbox, I even changed the runflats for standard tyres to try and improve the twitchy ride... 3months in I swapped it for another Golf GT, as by then it was known that the MK7 was only months away, and the GTD a few month further down the line... I now have a MK7 GTD on order, and can't wait to get my hands on it.