Author Topic: Buying advice  (Read 4193 times)

Offline Nino

• I live here
  • MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White
Re: Buying advice
« Reply #10 on: 11 June 2024, 08:37 »
Thanks for all the useful info.

I have decided to go see the approved used VW that David pointed me towards. I have to say, having looked quite a lot over the last few weeks, that seems a decent value proposition for what I am interested in. I've been quite disappointed by the ratio of auto to manuals... I guess most first time buyers of a brand new shiny GTI wanted the comfort of the auto (which I totally understand).

The one I am now looking at has full VWSH and is being sold fully approved used and comes with the associated warranty. I'm well aware these don't cover everything but it does give some peace of mind over a private seller or even a random used car trader. Fingers crossed it's as good in person.

Got a link?

I can +1 buying one from VW - They will not sell a car that has been messed with (Remaps and such) or ones with dodgy history/service history and the mileage is garanteed.

I got my Edition 35 from VW and the approved used package in my opinion is amazing and un-beatable.
- 2 years warranty (Not covering wear & tear)
- 2 years breakdown cover
- 2 years MOT cover (If the car fails on anything Major, you get upto £700 per year to claim for repairs)

and on top of that you get a full inspection sheet and they go over alot.
My car for example, during the checks they found a few issues including the battery and put it all right.
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline jdoubleu

• Just got here
« Reply #11 on: 11 June 2024, 15:15 »
All adverts have now been taken down as I have put a holding fee before going to see it in person (it is over 2 hours from me).

It looks like that same dealer has looked after it from new and had it in their workshop every year since 2012. The only niggle I have since spotted is the last MOT in January (which of course - they themselves did) notes some corrosion on the rear subframe which has not weakened it. If they are going to sell it, they will need to put a fresh MOT on it so I've highlighted this specifically.

I guess it depends if that is a slightly over zealous MOT tester or a genuine issue. We shall see. The car has covered less than 30k miles so serious corrosion would be quite impressive.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #12 on: 12 June 2024, 10:29 »
Depends on the mot tester any rust now should be noted even when minor according to the new rules.
But I do know of a few that have had to have replacement rear subframes but saying that I know they service rust after a couple years from new. So you would need to see it too see what it was like.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline jdoubleu

• Just got here
« Reply #13 on: 12 June 2024, 13:59 »
The ball is in their court at the moment as I haven't committed to buying. It is actually interesting to see how it pans out as I cannot see VW wanting an approved used car with that sort of advisory if it's remotely structural. Would presumably put them at too big a risk with the scheme let alone reputation.

Having done some general research, the rear subframe doesn't appear a particularly common issue on these as you suggest. Could be an MOT tester at a main dealer who rarely sees cars more than 8 years old.

Offline jdoubleu

• Just got here
« Reply #14 on: 24 June 2024, 19:54 »
Just to close the loop on this one - I bought the car this weekend just gone. While it has a few things to sort (such as the headliner starting to go), overall it is in impressive condition for a 14 year old car. The full VW history and a warranty adds to it.

With the rear subframe - I can see why an MOT tester advised on it but it's definitely not a structural problem. Looking at some used subframes on eBay from Mk6 golfs, if anything it's in better nick than those... I have already cleaned it up and applied rust converter and clear wax oil. Should see it through a fair few winters I'd say.

Thanks again to the advice and for David who pointed me to this car. I doubt I'd ever have found it myself.

Offline Nino

• I live here
  • MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White
« Reply #15 on: 24 June 2024, 20:37 »
Nicely done, surely the roof liner sagging will be covered under the warranty no?
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline jdoubleu

• Just got here
« Reply #16 on: 24 June 2024, 21:44 »
I'm not sure if that specific issue would be covered (the policy wording is pretty lengthy). However, it clearly does state it only covers issues that started after purchase.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 24 June 2024, 22:17 »
I'm not sure if that specific issue would be covered (the policy wording is pretty lengthy). However, it clearly does state it only covers issues that started after purchase.

If it’s VW’s Approved Used warranty that came with the car, then it essentially covers electrical and mechanical components against electrical / mechanical failure, unless they’re specifically excluded. Pretty much all insurance based vehicle warranty products would also limit the cover provided to electrical and mechanical failures and there’ll be a range of vehicle-specific exclusions and general exclusions.

Note that under VW’s Approved Used warranty one such vehicle-specific exclusion is the exclusion of upholstery and interior / exterior trims under the ‘what is not covered?’ section on page 10, and I dare say the headliner would be considered to be part of the interior trim.

Link to the current version of VW’s Approved Used warranty booklet (Dec 2023 version) at the link below;

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/idhub/content/dam/onehub_pkw/importers/gb/downloads/brochures/used-cars/approved-used-benefits/Used_Car_Warranty_Booklet.pdf
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline jdoubleu

• Just got here
« Reply #18 on: 24 June 2024, 22:51 »
Yep! I agree, it wouldn't be covered. Luckily it's just starting to go on the bit behind the sunglasses holder. I looked at 3 MK6 cars and they all had this to varying degree. Will just add it to the list of jobs I'd like to get done at some point!

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 28 June 2024, 07:29 »
Thanks again to the advice and for David who pointed me to this car. I doubt I'd ever have found it myself.

No problem, I was looking around for MK7's at the time, where I concluded there was little choice and prices where high compared to autotrader.
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black