Author Topic: Exterior black plastic  (Read 5185 times)

Offline karlos

• Not said much yet
Exterior black plastic
« on: 20 April 2022, 13:27 »
Just wondering how everyone cares for the exterior black plastic trim on their cars like the side skirts and rear valance. Mine are looking a bit grey and shabby, not helped by me being careless and getting wax on them. Can anyone recommend some techniques and products for cleaning and detailing it?
2017 (67) GTI PP DSG. Tungsten Silver with DCC, Art Velours, Dynaudio, Climate Screen, Tints, Keyless, Rear Camera, Lane Assist, Seville wheels.

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: Exterior black plastic
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2022, 15:10 »
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2022, 12:41 »
AngelWax Enigma Corona.  This stuff isn't cheap but it cleaned up, dressed and Sio2 coated all the blacks.  Applied with a MF applicator and then buffed with a MF cloth.  Doing the honeycomb grille was a bit of a pain but, luckily, the holes were big enough for a good portion of the applicator to fit through, so I managed to get it done without it taking too much time and the product left everything looking a shade deeper black than previously, as well as leaving them with a matte, factory-like finish.  Looks nice!
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2022, 09:43 »
I use Maguires Endurance tyre gel applied with a small piece of sponge. Removes/hides polish overspill and lasts well. Apply and leave.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Brian84

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2022, 19:40 »
I’ve been using poorboys trim restorer from Amazon and it seems to last quite well even with the Scottish weather.