Author Topic: 1 year of Ownership  (Read 1638 times)

Offline MA1694

• Not said much yet
1 year of Ownership
« on: 17 March 2022, 10:47 »
So it has been a year since I bought my 2010 GTI with 120k on the clock (engine changed by VW in 2012 due to timing chain failure). I've put 8,000 miles on it and have changed quite a few things:
- Expansion tank
- PCV, spark plugs, fuel filter
- Front drop links, cv boots, ball joints, wishbone bushes
- Rear drop links, springs, suspension arms
- Turbo v band clamp
- Coil pack due to cylinder 1 misfire

Only the turbo clamp and coil pack needed urgent attention, the other items were a case of preventative maintenance or MOT advisories. Seems to be thirsty on oil also, about half a litre every 600 miles so always keep some in the boot.

Car drives well, gets good mpg if i drive like a granny but overall it's not been an enjoyable experience mainly because I always think something is about to go wrong! Anyone else feel the same? Looking to move it on soon and maybe get a Mk7 GTI but with fuel prices going up and up I might just end up with a 1.4 TSI!
« Last Edit: 17 March 2022, 10:49 by MA1694 »

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: 1 year of Ownership
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2022, 12:45 »
My view its a 12 year old 120k car. Wear and tear due to age and milage.
Ive changed similar a couple year ago on my 17 year leon with 68k on, thats been in the family since new. I just put it down to its age.
As long as you used quality parts they should last another 12 yrs.
« Last Edit: 17 March 2022, 12:48 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2022, 09:19 »
Having several previous owners can lead to missed or ignored potential problems. Only two issues with my 2010 since new. Intake manifold replaced that was a common problem and replacement DMF. Not mapped and on 95k miles and garaged all its life. Gets an oil service every 6 months. I suppose I am a bit of a nut when it comes to keeping things pristine.😃  As Snoopy says quality parts should keep it going for years. The replacement engine is a good plus.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline MA1694

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2022, 09:40 »
The previous owner had the intake manifold and clutch replaced (but not DMF for some reason). I've used quality parts as much as possible so yeah should be good. I am mindful that it's a 12 year old car with almost 130,000 miles on it. Soon enough things like the shocks will need changing (I've got DCC so that will be very expensive!), DMF at some point and maybe other niggly things like air con compressor or condenser. Maybe a good time to move it on I reckon, let's see.

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2022, 20:16 »
I'm sure you've got a few miles left in yours yet MA1694  :wink:.  To give you a bit of confidence on your DCC, mine hasn't given me any grief in the 165k miles I've added to the odometer (my 2009 Mk6 ticked over 190k miles a couple of weeks ago).  Look after it, keep it maintained, use quality parts and I'm sure you've still got a fair few years driving it.  :smiley:   
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline MA1694

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2022, 14:10 »
I'm sure you've got a few miles left in yours yet MA1694  :wink:.  To give you a bit of confidence on your DCC, mine hasn't given me any grief in the 165k miles I've added to the odometer (my 2009 Mk6 ticked over 190k miles a couple of weeks ago).  Look after it, keep it maintained, use quality parts and I'm sure you've still got a fair few years driving it.  :smiley:

Wow 190k miles on original shocks! Roads where you are must be smooth with no potholes or speed bumps!

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2022, 21:37 »

Wow 190k miles on original shocks! Roads where you are must be smooth with no potholes or speed bumps!

If only! :grin: Like the rest of the UK, Northamptonshire has its fair share of roads that look like they've sustained heavy mortar fire.  Don't get me started on those plastic speed bumps in Tesco's car parks that when you ride over them at more that 2 MPH destroy your spine and your car!  :cry: 

Had my O/S/F and O/S/R springs replaced since I've had the car (no doubt pot hole damage), but yes still on the original DCC shock absorbers.
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors