Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 626957 times)

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #3110 on: 02 February 2022, 19:41 »
Hit two large potholes last night and got a warning "check pads". Spent some time today checking wheels, pads, wear sensor cable and struts for possible oil leak. Fortunately all seems ok. Roads around me are the pits a d local council does nothing. :angry:
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3111 on: 03 February 2022, 17:24 »
Hope it just shuck the connection joint on the strut for a second and caused an error.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3112 on: 03 February 2022, 20:18 »
Hope it just shuck the connection joint on the strut for a second and caused an error.
Yes that is my view having done the checks. Cable was loose in the slot on the strut. Have to see if the fault code recurs.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Wugga

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3113 on: 07 February 2022, 13:53 »
Been getting a few issues lately- coil pack and spark plug caused a miss fire - radiator leaking, getting a bit frustrated with my mk6 going wrong 😑
VW BORA TDI 2004 (Black)
VW GOLF GTI 2002 (Black)
VW GOLF GT TDI 2005 (Grey)
VW GOLF GTI 2009 (Silver)
VW GOLF GTD 2018 (Black)

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3114 on: 12 February 2022, 09:58 »
Had both rear suspension arm bushes replaced as one side was just starting to perish.  Can't complain really though, as far as I'm aware they're the original bushes from factory 186k miles ago.

Also found out where my coolant was slowly disappearing to over a period of months, mechanic found a hole in my radiator.  Think this leak was generally happening at temperature and pressure, as I've never had any pink coolant on the garage floor.  But the car's plastic undertrays were probably complicit in masking the slow leak by stopping it reaching the garage floor  :wink:.  Though I suspect much of it was it was slowly dripping out on the A46.  :whistle:

My car is definitely Trigger's Broom now.  I really need to decide on a Mk8...but she continues to bring a smile on my daily drives.
Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3115 on: 22 February 2022, 17:01 »

I expect hate mail for this  :grin:  :grin:
I've bought some front Mudflaps for the Golf.
My Golf has never been used in winter since I bought it new.  :lipsrsealed: It must be the cleanest mk6 underneath  :grin:
But times are changing.
My winter hack the Leon mk1 will be sold after this winter and the Golf will move into a full time all year round daily role.
The Leon had oem mudflaps from new, very similar to the Golf oem ones in shape and I found they help, especially on the front in the winter months. So the Golf is getting front flaps. :evil:
I know, i know, but I live in the hills in the North and its always snowing and raining here. So it's a compromise I'm talking myself into making. :laugh:  :nerd:  :laugh:  :nerd:
« Last Edit: 22 February 2022, 17:25 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3116 on: 23 February 2022, 17:48 »
Searching for some PPF to fit were the mud flaps will be going to help save the paint. :grin:
Even though after 16 years the Leon's paint is fine behind its flaps but better safe then sorry with the Golf  :cool:

Do keep getting tempted to buy a set of refurbished Monza Shadows for the summer months. :cool:
« Last Edit: 24 February 2022, 11:15 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3117 on: 25 February 2022, 17:49 »

I expect hate mail for this  :grin:  :grin:
I've bought some front Mudflaps for the Golf.
My Golf has never been used in winter since I bought it new.  :lipsrsealed: It must be the cleanest mk6 underneath  :grin:
But times are changing.
My winter hack the Leon mk1 will be sold after this winter and the Golf will move into a full time all year round daily role.
The Leon had oem mudflaps from new, very similar to the Golf oem ones in shape and I found they help, especially on the front in the winter months. So the Golf is getting front flaps. :evil:
I know, i know, but I live in the hills in the North and its always snowing and raining here. So it's a compromise I'm talking myself into making. :laugh:  :nerd:  :laugh:  :nerd:

Hey Snoopy, no hate from me and I know this is a definite "Marmite" subject :grin:

I had OEM mud flaps front and rear on my Mk6 GTI for a while (like a good few years) for the same reasons as you've said.

But last year when having my front wings and driver side sill repainted, on removing the front mud flaps not only was there a shed tonne of mud and dirt trapped behind them (see pics).  But the front ones had actually rubbed though to the metal on a small patch on the door sill in the same place on both sides of the car.  So now I've changed my thoughts on them and they've not gone back on.

The mud flap bit that looked like it was the culprit was the tiny flared bit that sits inbetween the gap of the sill and wing.

Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3118 on: 25 February 2022, 18:23 »
 :sad: Oh.
I was thinking of a bit of PPF for the wing and the bit not stone chip painted on the sill.
I may offer them up and see what I think.
The Leon ones are straighter allowing jet washing out of muck. I removed the mudflaps a couple years back on the Leon and it showed no issue. I removed only to clean out behind the wheel arch liners a known mk4/leon issue.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3119 on: 14 March 2022, 20:57 »
Think winter is over so removed and cleaned the front under wing cover and cleaned front suspension and lubed the brake caliper pins. Surprised how clean the wings were under the covers. MOT next week!