Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 634713 times)

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #3150 on: 15 August 2022, 14:28 »
Messing about the other day with lights on for a few minutes and flattened the battery. Managed a jump start from an old battery that I keep on trickle charge. Think I need a new battery as it is 6+ years old. Will wait til winter unless it gets really bad.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #3151 on: 16 August 2022, 09:13 »
Messing about the other day with lights on for a few minutes and flattened the battery. Managed a jump start from an old battery that I keep on trickle charge. Think I need a new battery as it is 6+ years old. Will wait til winter unless it gets really bad.

If you know someone with a Halfords trade card (They're easy to get) you get very good discount off batteries, then add the halfords member club new member £10 off on would get you a battery for £65/75.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3152 on: 16 August 2022, 10:37 »

If you know someone with a Halfords trade card (They're easy to get) you get very good discount off batteries, then add the halfords member club new member £10 off on would get you a battery for £65/75.
I bought this Varta one from Tanya batterys a couple weeks back for total of £60.96 inc standard delivery which actually arrived the next day. (my oem one was a varta). Price has just changed sightly though since i got it.
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/d24/
« Last Edit: 16 August 2022, 10:44 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3153 on: 17 August 2022, 18:58 »
Thanks for the info. Prices seem reasonable. Current one is Varta and was the same as the original oem one. Six years seems to be about the life of batteries.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3154 on: 04 September 2022, 16:33 »
Never thought I would see this on my gti! Grandson needs a top up before his test so spent an hour or so with white knuckles.  :smiley: Still looking OK though for 12 years.

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3155 on: 06 September 2022, 21:51 »
Never thought I would see this on my gti! Grandson needs a top up before his test so spent an hour or so with white knuckles.  :smiley: Still looking OK though for 12 years.

Did the 'driving top up' go okay? :grin:. I do hope the white knuckle ride hasn't meant your passenger side door handle now has a permanent impression of your hand on it; coupled with a phantom brake pedal mark in the passenger footwell?  :wink:

Your GTI is still looking very tidy for a twelve year old car, paintwork looks awesome - she shines up very nice indeed.  It's clearly been well looked after.  :cool:
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3156 on: 07 September 2022, 07:50 »
Going OK now but heavy right foot in the beginning hence the white knuckles :huh:.  Test in 2 weeks. Occasionally finds 4th instead of 6th gear  :wink: but gearshift is a little slack. Probably need to change some of the bushes as they are only plastic compound.

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #3157 on: 18 September 2022, 11:53 »
Quick update, annual service, couple of tyres and now the car is doing more miles since its injector refurb, I can manage up to 40mpg (440 miles from 50 litres)
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3158 on: 20 September 2022, 08:44 »

I bought this Varta one from Tanya batterys a couple weeks back for total of £60.96 inc standard delivery which actually arrived the next day. (my oem one was a varta). Price has just changed sightly though since i got it.
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/d24/
Thanks Snoopy. Went with Halfords in the end £68 collected - same spec and 4yrs warranty. Won't have the car after 4 more years!

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3159 on: 20 September 2022, 18:04 »
Thanks Snoopy. Went with Halfords in the end £68 collected - same spec and 4yrs warranty. Won't have the car after 4 more years!
  :smiley:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.