Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 637801 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #3060 on: 01 October 2020, 11:22 »
 ↑ :grin:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #3061 on: 01 October 2020, 20:52 »
 :grin: the melted snowflake in question had changed the chrome bit in the front grill to red so it looked like a GTi & i suggested removing the GTD so it looked more stealth but he took offence

anyway installed this android headunit today, massive improvement on the oem unit (RNS315) although my dab Ariel isnt working now but it doesnt matter bcos i only listen to one digital station & downloaded the app for it so all good :wink:

https://xtrons.co.uk/volkswagen-skoda-seat-various-android-10-octa-core-4gb-ram-32gb-rom-pb90mtvl
Mk6 Gti - current daily
Mk3 16v Anni - retired daily now parked on 200,300 miles

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3062 on: 02 October 2020, 09:20 »
A new filler cap was one of the first things I got for my car. The old one was really grubby and the cord was twisted into a weird shape. It's a Chinese replica but works OK. At first the cord ring didn't slip so when you undid the cap it would try to twist the cord. Bit of a sh!t design really. But after a few goes of holding it in place it now slips properly and works better. I think it was ~£10 off ebay.

I tried getting one of those RCD330 units imported from China. What came was the Chinese frankenstein version with sh!tty fonts on the front panel. I sent it back. Turns out it's hard to get an original RCD330 now. That Xtrons one looks much better and when you consider the RNS315 and RCD510 are still going for ~£200 on ebay it looks like a very nice upgrade for not much money (unless you have an RCD310 which isn't worth much).

RNS315 was never OEM on a GTI btw. Only RCD310 and RCD510, afaik. I used to have a copy of the Mk6 price list, but can't find it any more. If yours has an RNS315 then the previous owner must have fitted it.
2010 Mk6 GTI

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #3063 on: 03 October 2020, 10:52 »
never seen that before dave, looks interesting

Its useful stuff, for indoor fixes and things you touch, use the children/safe version.

I plan to add a blob of this stuff to the top of the pin in the hope it sticks and the holds the strap

thanks, hope it fixes your strap, got my new cap delivered today but not had a chance to install yet.

Let me know how you install it
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #3064 on: 03 October 2020, 17:17 »
ahhh that explains why i have a manual for the RCD510 in my service pack  :nerd:

the xtrons unit is good, not had any issues with freezing, slow functioning or anything at all other than i had to download a speaker booster app as the installed amplifier does not give individual speaker volume control which gave a rather poor performance initially but sorted now, think i may have blown a speaker using it on max setting.. :cry: i leave the booster on 60% now

Mk6 Gti - current daily

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #3065 on: 03 October 2020, 17:20 »
never seen that before dave, looks interesting

Its useful stuff, for indoor fixes and things you touch, use the children/safe version.

I plan to add a blob of this stuff to the top of the pin in the hope it sticks and the holds the strap

thanks, hope it fixes your strap, got my new cap delivered today but not had a chance to install yet.

Let me know how you install it

i will when i get the correct one! i got sent the wrong one so waiting for replacement! lucky i didn't rip the old one out before checking they matched!

i never noticed but the top of pin is damaged on mine, looks like someone tried replacing it already & failed or damaged then new one putting it in!

it should just pop off though with a small flat head screwdriver????

btw how have you got your torque dashboard setup? used torque for the first time the otherday and was overwhelmed by the amount of choises for dials & monitors  :laugh:
Mk6 Gti - current daily

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #3066 on: 03 October 2020, 18:05 »

i will when i get the correct one! i got sent the wrong one so waiting for replacement! lucky i didn't rip the old one out before checking they matched!

i never noticed but the top of pin is damaged on mine, looks like someone tried replacing it already & failed or damaged then new one putting it in!

btw how have you got your torque dashboard setup? used torque for the first time the otherday and was overwhelmed by the amount of choises for dials & monitors  :laugh:

I tried that with screwdriver, I think the pin head is a one piece molding with the overall black plastic surround.

I couldn't find any online advice

With Torque monitor, I only click read faults codes and only every experimented with the odd dial.
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #3067 on: 03 October 2020, 18:41 »

I tried that with screwdriver, I think the pin head is a one piece molding with the overall black plastic surround.

I couldn't find any online advice

With Torque monitor, I only click read faults codes and only every experimented with the odd dial.

i havent been able to find anything online either & dont want to pay anyone to do it  :rolleyes:
Mk6 Gti - current daily

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #3068 on: 03 October 2020, 18:42 »
forgot to say, i had Pilot Sport 4's put on this morning and i really noticed the difference driving home as it was raining and i gave it some beans on a roundabout, felt glued to the road
Mk6 Gti - current daily

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #3069 on: 05 October 2020, 12:26 »
@David25 just been on the phone to my local vw service dept & they told me you dont have to change the entire cap assembly, the seal inside the cap can be replaced and is about £11
Mk6 Gti - current daily