Author Topic: 128ti undercuts GTI  (Read 31450 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: 128ti undercuts GTI
« Reply #180 on: 20 December 2020, 16:53 »
What did you think?

Interior felt car more premium than the gti. Everything feels more solid and plush imo but it’s hard to believe that the cars are a similar age. Didn’t like the 128 logo on the arm rest. The gti feels far more modern. Whether they’d actually a good thing or not is down to individual taste.

Again, the 128 feels more premium on the outside. Any plastic is gloss black or that red, which can be optioned out. Eg. The side skirts on the gti feel very rough and cheap. The 128 ones are lovely and glossy.

Which would I have? Difficult that. You come away from the 128 thinking that you have to consider it on price alone.
I can away from the gti a bit giddy for the CS. But that says more about me. 
« Last Edit: 20 December 2020, 17:03 by king monkey »
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #181 on: 20 December 2020, 17:11 »
Also popped in to look at this today.

The red accents suit the black paint better than they suit the grey paint from a couple of pages back. Still not to keen on them though... :undecided:
7.5 GTD

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #182 on: 20 December 2020, 17:18 »
The car that actually made me smile the most today was the Up! Gti I sat in. Felt very different to my wife’s Up!

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #183 on: 20 December 2020, 17:39 »
One final thought about the 128. The red accents make it look a little less bmw if you know what I mean. Some will like that. I did. Made it look less corporate.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #184 on: 20 December 2020, 18:00 »
Yes that non corporate look thing, that's what I like about it and dislike normally about bmw.

Did the one you saw have leather seats? Nearly every showroom one I've seen does yet the cloth seats have red accents to match the rest of the car, the leather is just another dull bmw seat.

BTW it is definitely true that it's only cheaper because its missing things a gti has. The BMW mafia have been busy banging on about the golf not having heated seats but it has a load of stuff that costs thousands to add to the 128ti. Some of it you can't even add if you wanted to.

I realised yesterday that the BMW £1000 digital dash option can't even be configured to do much and any changes are done using menus in the main unit. That makes vw aid from three years ago even light years ahead.

The more I look at it, the less I like the BMW.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #185 on: 20 December 2020, 18:16 »
BTW if you really want to see all of those bank managers and accountants in their Saville row suits howl, Maxton make a huge array of extra spoilers, splitters and what not, much available in red.

Maybe I'm just too much of a closet hooligan for bmw.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #186 on: 20 December 2020, 18:17 »
Yes that non corporate look thing, that's what I like about it and dislike normally about bmw.

Did the one you saw have leather seats? Nearly every showroom one I've seen does yet the cloth seats have red accents to match the rest of the car, the leather is just another dull bmw seat.

BTW it is definitely true that it's only cheaper because its missing things a gti has. The BMW mafia have been busy banging on about the golf not having heated seats but it has a load of stuff that costs thousands to add to the 128ti. Some of it you can't even add if you wanted to.

I realised yesterday that the BMW £1000 digital dash option can't even be configured to do much and any changes are done using menus in the main unit. That makes vw aid from three years ago even light years ahead.

Unfortunately it did have leather and it didn’t look good. I don’t like leather though. I had a look at a 135 with the cloth seats and they looked awesome. Think the 128 cloth would add to the interior massively.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #187 on: 20 December 2020, 18:18 »
BTW if you really want to see all of those bank managers and accountants in their Saville row suits howl, Maxton make a huge array of extra spoilers, splitters and what not, much available in red.

Maybe I'm just too much of a closet hooligan for bmw.

Knew there was a problem when they were giving out masks and tan shoes at the reception.  :grin:

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #188 on: 20 December 2020, 20:19 »

Mr Zapad I presume  :wink:

To be honest you would normally expect BMW to be more expensive than a golf on a like for like basis... and it is.   

2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #189 on: 20 December 2020, 20:50 »
True, I've got most of my mk7.5 bits on my bmw order spec and it's just over 37k.

The difference is that with discounts it's about the same as my mk8 spec with discounts but the BMW Apr rate is lower...

I've still to test drive the BMW but heavily leaning towards a golf and damn the extra cost. Its going to need to be an amazing drive for the BMW to win right now.
« Last Edit: 20 December 2020, 20:53 by fredgroves »