Author Topic: Golf R coming soon  (Read 6277 times)

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
Re: Golf R coming soon
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2023, 12:49 »
Here is the Nothelle

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 09 March 2023, 12:53 »
And the Ur. Just a shell atm after full glass out 're spray but slowly coming together.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 09 March 2023, 18:00 »
A very impressive fleet Dave, thanks for posting the photos up. Hopefully the new Golf isn’t getting too dirty - is it a 20 Years edition?
Have you owned the ur-quattro for long?
How does the Golf R compare to the Nothelle S2?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 09 March 2023, 18:46 »
No, not a 20. It has the performance pack, DCC, heated seats, reversing camera, voice control and dealer fitted dash cam. I'm still running her in and haven't taken her out for a few days due to the amount of salt on the road. I have the use of a 2000 tdi passat for running about.
The Nothelle is about the same power as the Golf but the drive is very different. Have you ever driven an S2? Old style turbo gives you a huge surge of power higher up the rev range. It's really thrilling. Handling is another story and very unrefined compared to the golf. I had an S3 recently and the power delivery was from much lower down the rev range and more linear.
Handling wise the Golf is way ahead of the S2. Suspension development has moved so far since the 90's. I
I've had the Ur about four years. I took her on as a project as the bodywork was really poor. She has been in bits for three years now! Long story.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 10 March 2023, 05:54 »
As soon as I posted that the penny dropped that it had the wrong wheels for an R20Y!
A really nice spec though.
I’ve never had the pleasure of driving an S2 I’m afraid. I’ve always been crushingly dull and just bought an endless line of Golfs and their close relatives. I always look at other things and wonder but have stuck with what I know as the size and feel of them just kind of works for me. I grew up with and am now growing old with the same old recipe although I’ve stopped modifying my cars now.
I guess it must be hard finding the time to devote to the quattro restoration but now the shell is done it’ll probably feel like you’ve made significant progress, you’d not want to finish it too quickly or otherwise you’d have to find another project!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 10 March 2023, 08:16 »
Yes, know what your saying. Unfortunately I'm a sucker for projects and unable to resist. I picked this up before Christmas and it's almost done. The engine had blown and it was going to scrap  :cry:
I just had to save her  :smiley:

And I did this one last autumn.

And finished this last spring  :cool:

P!us a couple of others  :embarrassed:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #16 on: 10 March 2023, 16:45 »
Nice collection  :cool:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 10 March 2023, 18:18 »
Anybody might think you have just the tiniest inclination towards the four rings Dave!

Lovely cars, all of them. Do you have a huge barn to keep them all in like Harry Metcalfe or do you just enjoy them then move them on to finance the next one?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 10 March 2023, 18:36 »
Is it that obvious  :embarrassed:
Most have been sold to finance the next. The Nothelle is a keeper though. I built that up from a shell. It took ages to find all the missing parts.
The Ur will go when she's done as well. And the A4 TQS is currently for sale.
I would love to do a GTI of Corrado. Just never come across one (yet)  :grin:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 10 March 2023, 19:48 »
It must be quite a challenge getting hold of bits for some of them, all part of the fun though and knowing the right people must help. Some of the bits on those cars must be really hard to obtain.
I remember seeing some Nothelle equipped Audis at shows many years ago, the ‘N’ alloys must be super rare.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner