Author Topic: Handbrake cable replacement  (Read 9262 times)

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Handbrake cable replacement
« Reply #10 on: 08 December 2010, 13:10 »
I found that I had to "re-calibrate" the handbrake mech on the rear calipers periodically. You could feel it becoming less effective as time passed, but winding in/out every 6 months and setting it up always kept it in check.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #11 on: 08 December 2010, 13:12 »
hmm odd, I've never had to touch mine since the mk3s went in, except for when i had to check em over for the mot (car had been sat for a year) never needed adjustment just a quick clean and regrease
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 08 December 2010, 13:15 »
hmm odd, I've never had to touch mine since the mk3s went in, except for when i had to check em over for the mot (car had been sat for a year) never needed adjustment just a quick clean and regrease

Bear in mind I'm talking about the difference between being able to park on steep hills in Glasgow and stopping the car rolling on a flat road.

Offline the_stink

• Forum addict
  • A3 140 TDI
« Reply #13 on: 08 December 2010, 14:03 »
thanks for the replies guys, well for one i dont even have a garage so thats that idea out the window and when it comes to the simpliest jobs im a retard! ill pop up my mates up the road who is fairly familiar with MKiis so should be helpful :)

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 08 December 2010, 14:12 »
thanks for the replies guys, well for one i dont even have a garage so thats that idea out the window and when it comes to the simpliest jobs im a retard! ill pop up my mates up the road who is fairly familiar with MKiis so should be helpful :)

They're easy peasy to work on, once you've got tools, a haynes and this forum - you'll be unstoppable!

Offline the_stink

• Forum addict
  • A3 140 TDI
« Reply #15 on: 08 December 2010, 15:42 »

They're easy peasy to work on, once you've got tools, a haynes and this forum - you'll be unstoppable!

got all of them but im just not very confident when it comes to tinkering as such mainly as i feel i will nauze it up!

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 08 December 2010, 16:12 »

got all of them but im just not very confident when it comes to tinkering as such mainly as i feel i will nauze it up!

Worst case scenario, you repair the car dangerously, something vital falls off and you die on your next journey :evil:

But realistically, you tend to develop a lot more confidence in work your have done yourself vs. work done by a garage - because you know exactly what has been done. As long as you've got a torque wrench, you can be sure you are not over tightening / under tightening anything, which is a big confidence booster.

The R32 wasn't a DIY learner car, but the MK2 really is, parts are cheap and things are easy to access and fix!

Offline the_stink

• Forum addict
  • A3 140 TDI
« Reply #17 on: 08 December 2010, 16:47 »

yeah true and its just a few bolts here and there well when it gets dry and my mate is free will give it a bash need to invest in some axel stands!

Worst case scenario, you repair the car dangerously, something vital falls off and you die on your next journey :evil:

But realistically, you tend to develop a lot more confidence in work your have done yourself vs. work done by a garage - because you know exactly what has been done. As long as you've got a torque wrench, you can be sure you are not over tightening / under tightening anything, which is a big confidence booster.

The R32 wasn't a DIY learner car, but the MK2 really is, parts are cheap and things are easy to access and fix!

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #18 on: 08 December 2010, 17:13 »

Because it breaks all the time and no human alive could afford the garage bills for everytime it did

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 08 December 2010, 23:00 »
:lipsrsealed: £1500+ on service parts alone in 4 years wasn't too bad for me.