Author Topic: MK2 GTI 1991, timing belt replacement  (Read 10108 times)

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: MK2 GTI 1991, timing belt replacement
« Reply #10 on: 21 June 2009, 19:30 »
It is near impossible to put the crank or cam pulleys back on wrong, however, setting the engine to TDC for a timing belt change isn't necessary. Mark up the current positions, stick the car in gear, pull off the belt and throw a new one on (with tensioner), messing about lining stuff up shouldn't be necessary if you are a remotely capable diy'er.

Following the book sucks, we'd be removing the +ve battery lead every time we open the bonnet :laugh:

Offline Scoobydoogolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 21 June 2009, 19:31 »
This pulley only drives the alternator, but has the reference point on it to set up the timing with the dot on the intermediate shaft pulley for the distributor    :smiley:

Offline Scoobydoogolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 21 June 2009, 19:40 »
As Ben said I could have marked the belt with tipex, but in this case the belt snapped due to oil contamination and I had no reference points to go by so I had to do it by the book   

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 21 June 2009, 19:49 »
It is near impossible to put the crank or cam pulleys back on wrong, however, setting the engine to TDC for a timing belt change isn't necessary. Mark up the current positions, stick the car in gear, pull off the belt and throw a new one on (with tensioner), messing about lining stuff up shouldn't be necessary if you are a remotely capable diy'er.

Following the book sucks, we'd be removing the +ve battery lead every time we open the bonnet :laugh:

Thats your opinion, and yes that method is fine.
However i personally i would much rather use the factory marks, that way i know the timing is totally spot on, as any previous owners could have changed it, and may not be totally spot on.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #14 on: 22 June 2009, 10:01 »
as above, cant always rely on anyone else to do the job properly! my digi mk2 timing was way off, very fun on roundabouts! foot down... nothing....nothing...OMGIMGONNMADIE....vroom...newpantstime!
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
  • Formerly Darnpistonbroke
« Reply #15 on: 22 June 2009, 10:09 »
You would have to work really hard at fitting the bottom pulley incorrectly as the bolt holes need to line up, and they do only in one position. Same with the camshaft pulley. The intermediate shaft that drives the oil pump and the dizzy can be fitted wrong, but that is unimportant as the dizzy can be moved accordingly. A bit gash, but it works. The flywheel position I am not sure about. I though this also could be fitted in only one position, but TBH, never tried altering the position. I have always put these back on by the book.

THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #16 on: 22 June 2009, 10:12 »
the flywheel at first glance looks liek it can be fitted 1 of 3 ways, but there are 2 locking dowels that should prevent this.
however sometimes this doesnt prevent someone from fitting it wrong anyway then winding the bolts on squashing the dowels and bending the pressure plate
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #17 on: 22 June 2009, 13:17 »

There's little harm in doing that, especially as it takes approx 10 seconds to do and is a bloody good safeguard (unless you're working on a Golf3 diesel).

I think some of us on here are in the position of having been bitten by taking shortcuts like this, while others still have lessons to learn.

To be honest, you're best off lining the pulleys up according to the book, if you can and then time the dizzi up afterwards.  That way you'll know it's set up right to start.  It's all too easy to slip a tooth when trying to do something wearing a stetson and spurs and if you don't know what you were aiming for to start with it's going to be tough knowing what to do when things go wrong (as they inevitably will).
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 23 June 2009, 09:13 »
There's nothing wrong with doing things by the book, at least then you get piece of mind.
I suspect many people do take lots of short cuts, for example, how many people on here actually use a torque wrench for everything?
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline mattneck(Beavis)

• I live here
  • Bristol's Own (DJ) Beavis ;-)
« Reply #19 on: 23 June 2009, 09:58 »

There's little harm in doing that, especially as it takes approx 10 seconds to do and is a bloody good safeguard (unless you're working on a Golf3 diesel).

Haha. Smoke, more smoke.. Riiip.

BTW Don't you remvoe the ngeative as the chassis is earth? If you remove the positive and it touched anything would it not just short?? :/
Sig Removed. No Longer Applicable. New Sig? Nah. Not Yet..

Sharpo says: (16:57:39)
to be honest i dont doubt that half ggti users have a shortcut on their desktop for sharpie's last posts