Author Topic: help how do i get in my 97 gti after lock breaks  (Read 2195 times)

Offline essexjay

• Just got here
help how do i get in my 97 gti after lock breaks
« on: 17 November 2010, 21:26 »
my locks have given up how would you suggest i get in its got to the point im thinking of breaking the glass its a 3 door cheers

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
Re: help how do i get in my 97 gti after lock breaks
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2010, 22:17 »
Have you tried the boot lock ?? Open the boot and climb over  :wink:  If the boot won't open then call out your breakdown recovery provider and they will get in in seconds Mate

Offline essexjay

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2010, 22:50 »
boot lock is bust to and bought a week ago and not got recovery yet all in all bad times

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2010, 22:57 »
Another option is to get a wire coat hanger or a piece of metal/wire that you can bend into shape to get inbetween the door rubber and body then slide it down into the car while a Mate gently pulls the door frame back. Then when your wire is inside just hook it around the door pin and pull the pin up to open the door  :cool:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2010, 23:37 »
Only other way is to smash the handle off, will do damage but might be cheaper than replacing glass.

Offline jimmyb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2010, 23:44 »
theres a nack to it mate,but if i was you the easiest thing is go get someone to give you a lift to get a window from a scrapyard or salvage yard,20 quid max for a window, smash yours and fit the new one,20 pound is cheap really,and well worth it,,but before you smash...
cover the window in tape so it dont make a mess that way there wont be to much hoovering to do ;)

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #6 on: 17 November 2010, 23:48 »
I would try the coat hanger trick first Mate but if you decide to break a window then make sure you do a front window as these are easy to change whereas the rear windows are bonded in. Another option is to use a flat head screwdriver in the lock and try to force the lock open as you obviously need to change the locks anyway Buddy  :wink:

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
« Reply #7 on: 17 November 2010, 23:57 »
DONT BREAK THE QUATER GLASS THOE!!!
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****