Author Topic: So... You need a newer car.....  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
Re: So... You need a newer car.....
« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2023, 12:09 »
As a shortarse who doesn’t like any car bigger than a Golf I’m probably the least equipped to reply here, but seeing as you asked…

Audi: there are quite a few A4 and A6 models that are quite sporty and can hold their own as far as performance goes that don’t wear an S (or RS) badge. Some of the bigger engined TDI estates will do decent MPG and a good turn of *useable* speed. Comfy and have decent toys plus are easily to upgrade from the Audi parts bin. Pointless getting a petrol as the cars are heavy so petrols will need thrashing so you’ll get more reward out of a torquey Diesel.

BMW: a former colleague of mine had two older BMW’s which were I think a 335d and 530d. He is so tall we suspect he might have had a bald patch on the top of his head from rubbing on ceilings. He fitted in the 3er just fine. They’re well built, quick, but not hugely good on fuel.

Skoda: at your age you should be less worried about favours from the Mrs and starting to think about eBaying the kinky dungeon kit in your cellar and planning the model railway you’re going to build down there instead. Grow some and have a close look at the “superb” options Skoda cobble together in estate flavour. All are upgradable from the VAG parts bin.

Fair points on the diesel side of things, appreciate that the torque would be a useful addition to get some of these heavier set vehicles shifting, and having had a passat estate diesel before I know they can shift if needed.

At a grand old age of 39 I'm not sure what you are eluding to.... :whistle: Although the Man shed could do with a bit of planning to get the rack out of the way a bit easier....  :lipsrsealed: :laugh:

I've just never gelled with Skoda's they are a little too "last to be picked" when it comes to bells and whistle, and I do like bells and whistles (See above comment :whistle: )

Mercedes: Don’t do it. Just don’t do it. They’re lovely to drive, quick, and look and sound great, from the CLA35 and c43 up, and then after 5 minutes something goes wrong. It’s probably a known issue, but Mercedes will take 3 years to release a fix and until then they’ll ignore you completely. If your local dealer is good, they’ll be helpful but limited, and if they aren’t you’re screwed.

Mercedes - Load of S...just rebranded Renaults at this point and too soft to have any enjoyment, only ones to have are the 63's.

Merc's - I am slightly concerned that they have lost a lot of appeal since chasing down the "A Class" focus group, and no longer hold the prestige / performance sector of the market that they once did. 63's are rocking horse to get in decent condition hence the 43's becoming the focus. Good point on the servicing, don't know of many indies around here so might need to look first before continuing down this route.

The BMWs are fun, but like you said they’re bland inside and after you get used to the speed, they’re not the most exciting to drive.

BMW - F series 330/335d exceptional cars there's a reason Pistonhead authors love them, powerful & smooth, built to last our 330d never dropped below 39mpg, 335 they don't drop below 32mpg, interior is slightly aged now but BMW interiors will but it will look far newer than Mercedes or Audi in 5 years time, they're masters of a timeless interiors in my opinion.

BMW's are still on the list I just need to pull my finger out and get some test drives booked, but it's hard being a few thousand miles away from home at the moment. 440 GT's seem to be good and nicely specced but I wonder if I could get past the interiors, the hire car was nice for the week I had it I must admit, but maybe rose tinted as I could give it back.

The Audis are nice, but the S4 range are nice to be in, but being diesel they’ve lost some of the excitement of the older petrol models. To me they feel held back artificially so they don’t compete too much with the RS.

Have you looked at the VW SUVs? The Tiguan is nice to drive, and if you can find one under budget the R is a great alternative the golf r estate.

Audi's - Opening up to Diesel options gives me a little more to look at. I really want ACC or other brands equivalent as it is one of those tools that is a god send on long motorway trips (drive Yorkshire to Midlands / South quite a bit) and something I don't want to be without really.

The SUV's I've always had an issue with as I do believe they are just jacked up and no actual bigger inside than the equivalent road level car so not looked too much more into these.

Leon ST cupra R.  I think look far better than a Golf R estate. One of the ABT dealer fitted ones if you can find one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0JlHv3LGxk

SEAT/Cupra: have a good look at the Leon estate in Cupra flavour. 300 bhp and AWD unlike the hatch and much prettier than the Golf R hearse.

This is something I was not aware of until now, and arguably has taken my attention away from an R estate as a backup. Decent prices and milage, with the ACC as standard. Must do more reading about them but could be the reserve for sure.

How about a Volvo V60 Polestar?
Very rare, the earlier ones were a 3.0, later ones a 2.0.
V60 estates aren't that big though

Again, don't know much about these so will check it out.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 05 October 2023, 15:41 »
Skoda superb l&k estate or the sportline estate my misses wasn’t a fan either but now she’s had it for over a year try prising the keys off her now

« Last Edit: 05 October 2023, 15:47 by barrym381 »

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 09 October 2023, 17:23 »
We’re now looking for an X5 40d or a Touareg because… I’ve been reminded it’s mainly HER car and SHE doesn’t like estates 🙄.

But aren't they both just tall estates?  :wink:

I know, tell her! 😂

Update from me though… the combination of an accident in the family car resulting in it being written off and her insurance premiums being too high to justify an X5. We’ve just bought a 520d x-drive touring as the family car!

It’s fantastic. Loads of space, very economical, reasonably good fun to drive and makes my M2 interior feel cheap in comparison.

Important factors for us, space for three kids (2 boosters and 1 isofix) and meant to be excellent at pulling the caravan (1800kg twin axle).
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 12 October 2023, 22:18 »
I do remember a few years ago Top Gear declaring the 520d as ‘all the car you’ll ever need’ - the E60, I think they were referring to. What age is your Touring?

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 13 October 2023, 11:25 »
It’s a 2019, 48k miles and has quite a few option packs; Tech pack, comfort pack etc. some of it is gimmicks, but the comfort pack seats (full electric with 4 way lumbar), sound system (HK), HUD and the hands free boot are excellent features.

Funny, I actually thought the hands free, foot dance to open the boot was a stupid thing for “posh” SUVs… then earlier this week I did my usual trick of forgetting shopping bags at Morrisons, so being too tight to pay for yet more “reusable” bags, I balanced everything in my arms and now I love the boot opening foot dance 😂.

Like I said, I’m really not a fan of “SUVs”, so I definitely agree, it’s perfect for our large family, I would have preferred the 3l straight 6 diesel. But the 520d has enough shove and the x-drive makes it perfect for pulling the caravan. 

Overall, I’m really pleased with it. Looking forward to doing a machine polish next spring to make it look it’s best.
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 17 October 2023, 07:06 »
Sounds like you've tracked down just what you need. Friend has a 10 year old 330D Touring which, so far, has been rock solid. He could afford to jump into a new one but has no intention of doing so anytime soon. I always think its a bit mean though that you have to pay extra for lumbar.

I've had a couple of SUVs on lease and I don't really get them. They seem to be a Tardis in reverse - boot & cabin no bigger than the hatch they are based on and generally slower and less fuel efficient. You do get the higher driving position if that is your thing.

Was driving through mid Wales yesterday - lots of what I would call 'proper' SUVs, ie Land Rovers. Saw quite a few new Defenders. Most, if not all, diesel I would guess - probably the only engine that makes any sense when your SUV has to 'work for a living'.