Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 554562 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1440 on: 04 November 2017, 21:16 »
Thanks for the info Rebecca.
I’ll think I’ll be ordering very soon, just to force Watts hand: )

Haha, competitive DA ordering.  :laugh:  Its about time you and Watts sorted yourselves out and got yourselves DAs.  You’re about to push the button, but is he?   :grin:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #1441 on: 04 November 2017, 22:51 »
I appreciate that this is a polisher and not a DA machine, but due to it's smaller size, do you think this would be easier to use and possibly more versatile?
http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/flex/pe8-4-80-mini-rotary-machine-polisher.aspx
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1442 on: 04 November 2017, 23:22 »
I appreciate that this is a polisher and not a DA machine, but due to it's smaller size, do you think this would be easier to use and possibly more versatile?
http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/flex/pe8-4-80-mini-rotary-machine-polisher.aspx

A rotary polisher generates a lot more heat between the pad and paintwork than a DA polisher does (there’s hardly any heat build up with a DA), so a rotary increases the risk of strike-through or burning through the clear coat, especially when in inexperienced hands. The risk of strike-through or burning through the clear coat is minimal with a DA.

IMO, for a first polishing machine, I’d recommend investing in a DA that will take both 5” and 3” backing plates and pads. That way, you’ll have the versatility of being able to tackle larger areas and most of the harder to access areas too. The Das 6 Pro is a good all round machine and perfect for first-time polishers. I’ve had mine for just over 3.5 years and it’s given good service and paid for itself many times over.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1443 on: 04 November 2017, 23:22 »

No.  Just my opinion but I don’t think your first foray into machine polishing should be with a Rotary without some amount of practice and training, due to the nature of its rotation, which can, in inexperienced hands, lead to a build up of heat in one area, and potential risk of burning through the paint.  Far better to start out with a DA which is the safer option for your paintwork in novice hands because it randomly oscillates removing the risk of heat build up. 

Also for your first DA you’ll find it hard work covering and entire car with a spot machine, so unless you are planning on buying 2 machines, look for a machine that can take spot pads and normal pads.  My first DA was Meguiars (8mm throw) which was a great start out machine, until I outgrew it and wanted something with a longer throw, and so I sold it and moved onto the Pro Plus.  So if you start out with something like the DAS6 Pro, you can always upgrade later and part fund a new machine buy selling your old one.
« Last Edit: 04 November 2017, 23:28 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #1444 on: 05 November 2017, 07:25 »

A rotary polisher generates a lot more heat between the pad and paintwork than a DA polisher does (there’s hardly any heat build up with a DA), so a rotary increases the risk of strike-through or burning through the clear coat, especially when in inexperienced hands. The risk of strike-through or burning through the clear coat is minimal with a DA.

IMO, for a first polishing machine, I’d recommend investing in a DA that will take both 5” and 3” backing plates and pads. That way, you’ll have the versatility of being able to tackle larger areas and most of the harder to access areas too. The Das 6 Pro is a good all round machine and perfect for first-time polishers. I’ve had mine for just over 3.5 years and it’s given good service and paid for itself many times over.
Thanks for the input :smiley:
So does the Das 6 Pro accept a 3'' backing plate as well as the larger ones that come supplied with it?
It doesn't make it clear on the website.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #1445 on: 05 November 2017, 07:31 »

No.  Just my opinion but I don’t think your first foray into machine polishing should be with a Rotary without some amount of practice and training, due to the nature of its rotation, which can, in inexperienced hands, lead to a build up of heat in one area, and potential risk of burning through the paint.  Far better to start out with a DA which is the safer option for your paintwork in novice hands because it randomly oscillates removing the risk of heat build up. 

Also for your first DA you’ll find it hard work covering and entire car with a spot machine, so unless you are planning on buying 2 machines, look for a machine that can take spot pads and normal pads.  My first DA was Meguiars (8mm throw) which was a great start out machine, until I outgrew it and wanted something with a longer throw, and so I sold it and moved onto the Pro Plus.  So if you start out with something like the DAS6 Pro, you can always upgrade later and part fund a new machine buy selling your old one.
Thanks Rebecca :smiley:
Do you think it's worth the extra £35 to invest in the pro plus rather than the pro?
The odd review I've read suggests that the plus is just as easy to control but offers a step up in performance.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1446 on: 05 November 2017, 08:18 »
So does the Das 6 Pro accept a 3'' backing plate as well as the larger ones that come supplied with it?

Yes, it does. Here’s mine with a 3” backing plate and pad attached;

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #1447 on: 05 November 2017, 08:38 »

I'm assuming then that the pro plus will also accept a 3'' backing plate?
If so, I think that's the way forward for me :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1448 on: 05 November 2017, 09:24 »

Thanks Rebecca :smiley:
Do you think it's worth the extra £35 to invest in the pro plus rather than the pro?
The odd review I've read suggests that the plus is just as easy to control but offers a step up in performance.

Spot pad issue aside, yes I do. I haven’t used the normal DAS6 PRO but it’s very much like my old Megs 220, and compared to that, the Plus is much nicer to use all round, better ergonomics, the head of the machine is better to grip, the weight of the machine is good and most importantly, being 15mm throw, the machine has much lesss vibration.

It’s a toughie really due to the spot pad issue.  In spring I did my entire car with 5”pads but felt that 3” were definitely needed and it was something that I missed, hence the recent purchase of the Rupes Mini.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1449 on: 05 November 2017, 09:27 »

I'm assuming then that the pro plus will also accept a 3'' backing plate?
If so, I think that's the way forward for me :smiley:

No, the Pro Plus will not accept a 3”backing plate as I’ve explained!  The backing plate assembly is different so it will only take the 5 and 6” that come with it (or replacements).  You cannot use spot pads on the Plus unless you somehow adapt it, which I have seen people do, but clearly a makeshift job and compromising the balance of the machine.

Pro Plus backing assembly.

« Last Edit: 05 November 2017, 09:33 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual