Author Topic: lights  (Read 2017 times)

Offline redders

• GTI forum regular
  • 88 8V GTI, 3dr helios blue
lights
« on: 10 December 2002, 23:22 »
can any one help????

i have a mk 2 golf gti 8v 1988, problem is whilst driving at night  the lights flicker and its getting worse. also heaters packed up works for about 5 mins then cold
any help would be appreciated
p.s car is absolutely bog standard
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline romney

• Just got here
Re: lights
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2003, 20:56 »
Sounds like you might need to replace the voltage regulator. This is a part of the Alternator and is very easy to change out. Best to do it before it goes completly and you are left stuck somewhere.
Remove the alternator (can be done without removing it as well) then remove the cove on the back of the alternator. Under here you will find a little unit held in place with two screws, it will also have a wire attached to it. Once you unscrew it lift it out carefully as this unit also holds the two brushes which may well also be worn down.
You should be able to buy a new one from the VW dealer or any good car accessory shop. Good luck.  :D

Offline danthevan

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2003, 00:18 »
What about a loose wire maybe ????!!
Surely if the voltage regulator had gone it would affect all the electrics, as well as the running of the engine???
Dodgy switch maybe???
Dont ya just love electrical faults !!!!

Offline 66split

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2003, 14:17 »
hey, mmmmm electrical problems!!!!!
If your lights are flickering tony i would agree with romney.  See your lighting system is DC and your alternator is AC. if your rectifier or regulator is playing up you could be feed your lighting system AC which would give a rapid on/off effect to your lights giving the impression of a flicker.
The alternator pretty much only feeds the battery and all other electrical components rely on the alternator feeding the battery whilst the engine is running.
As for the heaters What's Heating?????????

BOL

66split
Don't ignore where your cars evolved from. Aircooled is COOL!!

drew

« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2003, 18:15 »
for your heater problem, pasted this from another thread:
forgot the heater problem, again my golf had this one too...
if you tace the water pipes round the engine you will see two heading off into the bulkhead. Just before they go through the bulkhead (towards the heater matrix) they should both pass through a valve (one valve on each pipe). On the inlet side this valve is metal and on the return side it is plastic, in between the two valves there is also a thermo-controlled bypass for the heater matrix.
All the valves do is control the flow through the matrix to prevent it exploding when the engine is running hot (apparently this was a problem in early golfs and warranted a recall).
Your problem is probly with the metal valve, take it out and test it by running water through it (in the direction of the marked arrows), cold water should run freely through the unit.
If faulty a replacement will be hard to find at a scrap yard, it took me 4 tries, the other three had the same fault.

Good luck

Offline stoat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2003, 13:09 »
I had a problem with my blower it was the earthing and it sound like a loose connection on the light
MK3 GTI 8V