Author Topic: gearbox probs  (Read 1752 times)

Offline teeb

• Not said much yet
gearbox probs
« on: 20 February 2003, 20:21 »
hi, everyone,

well done on a good site btw.
I am having a few probs with my 1st gear selection, and box is a bit lumpy oo er. I have had the lower part of gearstick (plastic bit) replaced and adjusted once already and have lost 1st gear again, reverse fine 3rd fine. Anyone had this problem? Mk2 89f 8v.  Cheers. Nice to be back in a vw again after a few years of french cars......rip..
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline mk2driva

• Not said much yet
Re: gearbox probs
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2003, 21:42 »
i have a mk2 1.6 driver and the gear box on it is a bit dodgy. To get into first is sometimes a problem ( a good push is needed) however i find it worse when on a hill. The previous owner was always pulling away in 2nd!!!!! so a new clutch was needed. Reverse can also be a bit sticky. ive heard that gear box prblems are common among Golfs. i may be wrong thoh

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2003, 15:01 »
When you had it adjusted was it OK for a little while before you lost first gear again? If so then it must have gone out of adjustment again. I can dig out the workshop manual adjustment procedure for you if you want to give it a go yourself.
As for the overall lumpiness, would be well worth while changing the gearbox oil and getting some fully synthetic oil in there.
One technique for getting the car into gear if its a little difficult (especially reverse) is to slowly let the clutch out whilst puting pressure on the gearstick in the appropriate direction. It should pop into gear before you fully release the clutch. I think its something to do with the lack of synchromesh and the square cut of the teeth on the cog on reverse and possibly first gear too, can't remember if first has synchromesh or not.
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by -1 »

Offline teeb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2003, 18:52 »
:)

thanks for replies, have now fixed it with a little help from the following link.. http://www.geocities.com/jonnyguru/vw/shifter.html

All you need is a 13mm spanner and 13mm socket and a friend to sit in car and move gearstick for you while you crawl underneath and loosen splined rod. If first and reverse are tricky rod (gearstick needs to be moved to the right). Hope this proves useful. You may also need plastic bit below gaiter as it may have worn (about ?10).