Author Topic: ABF conversion checklist?!  (Read 21565 times)

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: ABF conversion checklist?!
« Reply #20 on: 06 July 2009, 11:59 »
yeah 8v pump should be fine, if you're worried the mk3 tank, pump and plines will fit striaght on :)

if you have 256 already and the MK3 has 280s its a direct fit with g60 discs n pads. easy to tell if its 280 or 288 as well, 280s look visually identical to 256 except the carrier is spaced out more, 288 are more like 239 in that they have 2 allen bolts round the back holdign the caliper to the carrier.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline hasekna

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 06 July 2009, 12:54 »
yeah 8v pump should be fine, if you're worried the mk3 tank, pump and plines will fit striaght on :)

if you have 256 already and the MK3 has 280s its a direct fit with g60 discs n pads. easy to tell if its 280 or 288 as well, 280s look visually identical to 256 except the carrier is spaced out more, 288 are more like 239 in that they have 2 allen bolts round the back holdign the caliper to the carrier.

Nice one, cheers.

The car i'm getting i'll split everything on it obviously but it has "genuine hella headlights". They look like these,

Are they worth owt?

Offline plasticfantastic

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 07 July 2009, 14:33 »
Hi all,

Well its time for a little update on how my ABF conversion is going, having recently gotten back to working on the car since breaking my elbow back in April! i really miss driving this car now! :cry:

I now, pretty much, have finished both of my looms, the engine loom has been re-fitted to the car and the engine is now in place, temporarily for now as i just want to test my wiring skills! :lipsrsealed:

As per Rubjonny and Danny_p's advice i have totally stripped both my engine looms and have made a custom Mk2 ABF loom, im just waiting for my VW loom tape to be delivered so i cam wrap it once it is removed after checking.

I have also rebuilt my Mk2 lighting loom, and using danny_p's website as a guide i have incorporated an upgraded headlight loom. Although i took my own approach on this and have re-rooted the entire lighting loom so it now all goes down the passenger side of the engine bay, and finishes by the battery where i have adapted a mk3 engine plug so i can remove the intire front lighting loom (including the resin block with my relays built in). i am really happy with how this looks as it has tidied up my engine bay no end!

With the engine in place i have attatched my old 8v exhaust system, so i now have a standard ABF manifold and 2 into 1 downpipe and this attatches to my custom 63mm centre section and onto my 2 standard VW rear boxes. i know this set up wont be ideal as it may be a little restrictive, but my only other alternatinve at the moment due to no funds is a powerflow exhaust i have from a vr6 i scrapped that has a 4 inch tailpipe! :sick: so i think i'll stick the the OEM look :cool:

This morning i put my radiator in place to see how it looked, to my suprise it seems that my top hose will fit fine if i cut about 20mm off the end, and the bottom one will be fine once i swap the stat housing to an 8v one?!

My next step is to finish up the last few wiring jobs, i have a few loose wires and plugs im unsure of!

1) On the drivers side of the engine bay i now have 4 plugs, my lamda plug, outside temp sensor, and 2 black 2 pin sockest which i presume are for the airflow meter and carbon canister, but i dont know which is which?! one has Blk/Wht and Grn/Yel  and the other is Wht/Yel and Brn/Blu?!

Is there any advantage to me fitting the carbon canister?

2) By the throttle body i have another black plug coming from the same part of the loom as the TPS it has Blk/Brn going to it?! I have found this pic on the net and it seems to show that plug connected to the pipe that comes from the block breather?!

I was hoping to be able to just block off the block breather (as i did with my 2ltr AGG conversion) will this cause any problems?!

2a) Is that a Seat Toledo airbox and inlet pipe that connects to the throttle body?! what year would that be 92>97?! Did all models have the same airbox? Does anyone know of one for sale as i love the standard look it give, i only have a very cheap and nast cone filter with alloy tube fitting kit  :sick:

only other thing i can think to do is to fit the mk2 8v airbox i have and modify the AFM?! that is on top so it is open?! any thoughts, (sorry if that makes no sense!)

3) From my ECU i now have 3 wires left over Grn/Wht, Blu/Wht and Violet/Wht according the the fusebox FAQ these are for the instrument panel just want to double check before i cut for good!

4) On the round plug that connects to the engine i have a red wire that is loose, its coming from row 5 pin 17, The FAQ says it's Pin 87 K20/ (+v) to injectors. so i presume this goes to ignition live? what does the pin87 K20 mean?!

5) Coming from the engine side of the round plug i found 3 wires that seem to have had a plug cut off, they seem to head towards the gearbox?! not sure exactly on the colours but i can check them if needed.....

6) ontop of the throttlebody there is a small vac line that goes to the airbox, and a larger one that seems to go towards the carbon canister?!

also just to the right of the throttle body there is another vacline ontop of the manifold, where does this go?! to the ECU or does it join to the one that goes through the bulkhead?!

7) there is a fitting on the back left corner of the inlet manifold as u look at the engine, any ideas where this connects?!

i think that is pretty much it for now, although i know i have a couple of spurious wires behind the fusebox, i'll make a note of these later!

Many many thanks in advance for any help anyone is able to give!

Cheers

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #23 on: 07 July 2009, 15:00 »
1) On the drivers side of the engine bay i now have 4 plugs, my lamda plug, outside temp sensor, and 2 black 2 pin sockest which i presume are for the airflow meter and carbon canister, but i dont know which is which?! one has Blk/Wht and Grn/Yel  and the other is Wht/Yel and Brn/Blu?!

Is there any advantage to me fitting the carbon canister?
Blk/Wht and Grn/Yel - carbon canister
Wht/Yel and Brn/Blu - intake air temp sensor

bin the canister and block off the spare vac ports :)

2) By the throttle body i have another black plug coming from the same part of the loom as the TPS it has Blk/Brn going to it?! I have found this pic on the net and it seems to show that plug connected to the pipe that comes from the block breather?!

I was hoping to be able to just block off the block breather (as i did with my 2ltr AGG conversion) will this cause any problems?!
this is for the breather heater, which is not fitted on UK models as it was for cold climates. if you bin the pipe tie the plug up out of the way.

2a) Is that a Seat Toledo airbox and inlet pipe that connects to the throttle body?! what year would that be 92>97?! Did all models have the same airbox? Does anyone know of one for sale as i love the standard look it give, i only have a very cheap and nast cone filter with alloy tube fitting kit  :sick:

only other thing i can think to do is to fit the mk2 8v airbox i have and modify the AFM?! that is on top so it is open?! any thoughts, (sorry if that makes no sense!)
Pretty much all SEAT Ibiza/Toledo ABF have that airbox, there are variations based on year though.  MK2 Golf diesel/SPI one will work, just need to get creative on where to put the inlet air temp sensor.

3) From my ECU i now have 3 wires left over Grn/Wht, Blu/Wht and Violet/Wht according the the fusebox FAQ these are for the instrument panel just want to double check before i cut for good!
yeah these are all for the dash, no need to worry about them.  blue/wht is speedo sense input, not sure what would happen if the ecu has no speed pulse?  Never seemed to make any odds on the ABF swap I did for my mate

4) On the round plug that connects to the engine i have a red wire that is loose, its coming from row 5 pin 17, The FAQ says it's Pin 87 K20/ (+v) to injectors. so i presume this goes to ignition live? what does the pin87 K20 mean?!
If for the injectors this is an output from the fuel pump realy, goes to Z1

5) Coming from the engine side of the round plug i found 3 wires that seem to have had a plug cut off, they seem to head towards the gearbox?! not sure exactly on the colours but i can check them if needed.....
speedo sensor

6) ontop of the throttlebody there is a small vac line that goes to the airbox, and a larger one that seems to go towards the carbon canister?!

also just to the right of the throttle body there is another vacline ontop of the manifold, where does this go?! to the ECU or does it join to the one that goes through the bulkhead?!
small one on tbody is for the warm air flap, large one is for the carbon canistor. block off if not using :)  one on the back goes to the vac nipple on the ecu

7) there is a fitting on the back left corner of the inlet manifold as u look at the engine, any ideas where this connects?!
brake servo :)

Offline paultownsend

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 07 July 2009, 15:10 »
@ plastic

for the top radiator hose, are you using the abf flange, 8v hose and 8v rad?  this all fits together nicely?

Offline plasticfantastic

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 07 July 2009, 15:11 »
As always your a legend Rubjonny!

Just a few more while im at it!

where does the vac line go that comes out of the bulkhead?!

Will i be ok to plug up the block breather directly on the block? last time i did this on my 8v i nade a nylon bung and used the original clip to hold it in the plastic housing.

also i have a big lamda plug on my loom with 1 rounded end, i have a lamda probe that i have taken off the vr6 i stripped but i has a different plug that has been cut, and the wire dont corespond the the colours on my loom, the probe has a black, grey and 2 whites coming out of it?!?!

Thanks again

EDIT: Paul, Yes but as i say i have only put the radiator in place but i cant really see why it wont work, the standard 8v hose is a little long so it kinks the first bend but i think cutting around 1 inch off the engine side of the hose will solve this, ill keep you uptodate on how it goes!

Hows your conversion going?
« Last Edit: 07 July 2009, 15:14 by plasticfantastic »

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #26 on: 07 July 2009, 16:08 »
yeah oem 8v hoses fit the abf flange no problem with carefull cutting, just need a MK2 stat flange to fit bottom hose as said :)

vac line outa the bulkhead goes to the ECU, and you cant block the breather as it would pressurise the block, you need to run it to a catch tank or a breather filter.  The lambda proble plug changed around 1995, the early ones are square the later ones have a rounded end on 1 side.  only choice is get down the scrappy and find a later car to chop the plug off of. I found one for my mates ABF on an Audi :)

chop off as much of the wiring from the donor lambda as tyou can (I wouldnt bother with using a 2nd hand lambda, false economy) Then get yoursen a new bosch universal 4 wire probe, cheap from ebay. use the included wire crimpy thingy to attach it to the plug you cut off, and you're all set!

The one you need is:
0 258 986 503 (LS03) - Four wire sensor with 18 watt heater and grounded case
« Last Edit: 07 July 2009, 16:10 by rubjonny »

Offline plasticfantastic

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 07 July 2009, 16:28 »
Cheers for all that,

it has al made my life much easier!

just 2 more that confuse me! sorry  :sad:

but you said that the vac line comin out of the bulkhead geos to the ecu? but didnt you also say that the vac line from the top of the inlet manifold goes to the ecu?!

so why is the ABF engine more likely to pressurize than the AGG with a blocked breather?

is the ABF an interferance engine?!

Thanks

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #28 on: 07 July 2009, 17:38 »
basically there should be 1 chunky vac line and one thin vac line on the end of the tb, both of these can be blocked. then there is a 2nd vac nipple on the rear of the inlet, that needs running to the ecu. 

actually now i think about it, the vac line you mention might be for the MFA, do you mean the plastic line thats coming out thru the firewall from the drivers compartment? if so this goes to one of the nipples on the chunky brake servo vac pipe. the 8v one you have will need some tweaking to make it fit, ideally you want a MK2 16v one for an easy life.

on the AGG and other 2.0 8v engines they have an additional breather on the rocker cover, this is why the block one can be blanked off. on the ABF the only breather is on the front of the block :)

Offline plasticfantastic

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 07 July 2009, 17:50 »
Cheers again for that Rubjonny!

Im sure this info will help many others out too!

thats the tube coming from the firewall i was thinking of! thanks for clearing that up! So the part i need off a mk2 16v goes from the 10mm'ish fitting on the rear right (as you look at it) of the inlet manifold to the brake servo, and attatches the tube from the drivers side?! sorry if im being a little slow, im new to these fancy 16v's!  :grin: and i like to understand things before i go off buying parts! nothing winds me up more than buying the wrong part! :angry:

Dont suppose you would have one of these kicking around too?! :smiley:

Cheers for clearing up the breather issue!

EDIT:  Going back to breather on the ABF, where does the tube connect to, the one that goes from the breather block under the plug leads then down the cambelt side of the engine, with the cold climate sensor in it.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2009, 17:55 by plasticfantastic »