Author Topic: EXTRAS  (Read 2746 times)

Offline coffeecup

• Just got here
EXTRAS
« on: 26 May 2022, 17:47 »
Hi
I'm going to buy a Mk8 2020 ish GTI, are there any 'desirable' extras I should look out for??

Mike

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Re: EXTRAS
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2022, 08:00 »
I think it depends what you like, I prefer heated seats, and the sound system (Harmon Kardon) and reversing camera.

If you get 19’s make sure you get DCC suspension to make it more compliant.

Akro exhaust is great but really expensive option so if it’s included that is good.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2022, 21:53 »
From a personal point of view I’d say any extras would be “nice to have” but none are essential enough to narrow your search down to a specific spec unless you find them high on your personal priority list.

The really good stuff is standard, particularly the IQ lights which are fantastic, and the heated steering wheel which I’ve fallen in love with.

A rear view camera would be quite useful but not essential. I’ve had a succession of cars both with and without and it’s not something I miss. However it is one of few options that could likely be retrofitted. The parking sensors on their own do a pretty good job though.

With the scarcity of GTI’s in general coupled with the high prices they currently fetch then compromises will probably have to be made as regards to spec, colour, gearbox choice etc.

Even 18 month to two year old cars can have had paint and bodywork damaged by now so personally I’d try and find one with 100% original paintwork (that also hasn’t seen commercial car washes), is reasonably priced and being sold by someone that doesn’t make your skin crawl (even some main dealers can fall into that category). At that point I’d take any optional extras as a bonus.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline coffeecup

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2022, 17:44 »
Well, there are 88 on Autotrader 20/21 all under 15k miles, so not sure about a shortage!! Is not DCC standard on all Gen8 GTI's??

mike

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2022, 18:20 »
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2022, 22:15 »
Well, there are 88 on Autotrader 20/21 all under 15k miles, so not sure about a shortage!! Is not DCC standard on all Gen8 GTI's??

mike

88, I’m genuinely surprised! (Obviously I hadn’t looked as I had no call to do so)
I was going from the lack of new members with mk8’s, the amount we hear here waiting endlessly for cars and the relative dearth of seeing physical cars out on the roads. Maybe they’re all sat at dealers waiting to be sold after being previously rejected for software gremlins  :whistle:
I really thought there were very few around.

Good luck in your search, hopefully amongst the 88 there will be a Goldilocks car for you.

DCC definitely not standard but lots of people spec it so it shouldn’t be hard to find one with that option ticked.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2022, 08:13 »

mike

88, I’m genuinely surprised! (Obviously I hadn’t looked as I had no call to do so)
I was going from the lack of new members with mk8’s, the amount we hear here waiting endlessly for cars and the relative dearth of seeing physical cars out on the roads.

Price may also be a factor; some dealers don’t seem to want to sell their current used car stock - if they do, they may be left with an empty forecourt because of the shortage of decent used car stock, so they price their existing cars accordingly :shocked:. With that in mind, some of those 88 GTI’s might have ambitious selling prices.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline coffeecup

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2022, 08:47 »
"some dealers don’t seem to want to sell their current used car stock"

'I'm sorry sir, you can't have that GTI, we don't want it to go!!'

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2022, 09:05 »
Judging by what I read on the internet, a lot of people gave up on their mk8 and rejected it...

Particulary if you are looking at 20 or 21 plate cars.

The issues may or may not have been solved by the dealer (my money is on not solved) but most of the fixes are now available - its only taken VW 18 months to work it out  :rolleyes:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2022, 12:11 »
On the question of extras... I have a few.

The only ones I'd say were really must haves for me are 19's and DCC. I hated the standard 18's and DCC I considered essential with the (heavy) Adelaides. Obviously cheaper to swap the OEM 18's for some nicer third party ones.

I do like the HK, the rear camera is good but its no drama without it, heated seats are nice but the (standard) heated steering wheel makes more difference than you'd imagine.

Its a well spec'ed car in UK base configuration though, has a lot of technology that (by and large lol) works really well.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC