Author Topic: Excessive brake pedal travel after bleeding  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Me9141

• Just got here
Excessive brake pedal travel after bleeding
« on: 21 May 2021, 10:07 »
Hi all,

Hope you are all well and staying safe.

I have a 2010 Mk6 Golf 2.0 tdi (standard).

Borrowed a pumped pressure bleeder to deal with the brakes of another car, whilst I had it I thought I would flush the system of my golf too.

1st time left an ever so slight brake travel before there was any friction, so thought I’d try it again
2nd time I broke part of the bleeder before I could begin, I ordered a replacement part and installed before the 3rd attempt
3rd time has left it with a lot of brake pedal travel

I have given up now and gave the car to a local garage whose work I trust.

They have bled the whole system and abs pump via VCDS and manually. He said about a litre of fluid has passed each corner. So definitely no air in the system now. This has still left the same amount of travel.

Garage have said they have seen this before with VAG cars. Last one they did on an Audi needed an ABS pump but they have done an Amarok with just the master cylinder. They say this solved this issue in both cases. Have said it would be better to start with master cylinder as its the cheaper option. Have booked it in with them just thought I'd get as much info on this as possible.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what you have done to rectify.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.