Author Topic: 1.3 mk2 poor cold running, ideas???  (Read 1949 times)

Offline tobz.

• I live here
Re: 1.3 mk2 poor cold running, ideas???
« Reply #10 on: 10 November 2004, 14:56 »
Found this fantastic thread which will probably be useful to anybody experiencing problems with a pierburg carb:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/?t=8799&v=f

Got quite a few things to check out at the weekend now.

Toby

You got any pics of your dad's split ?

Offline Volkswagavin

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 15 November 2004, 13:02 »
The pierberg autochokes tend to stick on, giving you an incredibly rich mixture.  My old golf driver used to have a pierberg 2E2 carb, which when you looked at the gases on a crypton tuning monitor, it used to flood at high revs. (it should use less fuel at around motorway cruising revs) It would give terrible fuel economy and throw a lot of smoke out of the back.

I'd replace it with a Weber direct replacement.  It'll have a manual choke but it will make a huge difference to the car's behaviour.
Gav
Mk2 Golf GTI 8v - J reg

Offline tobz.

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 15 November 2004, 13:10 »
I've done some testing and it would appear the choke pull down diaphragm isn't doing its job as the choke stays fully shut even after the engine has started (it should open by about 4-5mm). I guess my problems are due to this and have therefore ordered a new one from GSF for ?7 hopefully that will cure it.
The weber would be nice but at ?200 that is almost double what I paid for the car so isn't a viable option.

You got any pics of your dad's split ?