Author Topic: CD changer flattening battery?  (Read 3491 times)

Offline RKett 16v

• GTI forum regular
CD changer flattening battery?
« on: 06 January 2004, 15:35 »
Hi guys, ive just explained in the mk2 forum that i think my cd changer mounted in the boot on the left hand side that i presume is working of the boot light is flatteing the battery of my car. The batterys a brand new yellow top jobbie and i think the boot light switch wires are wired together, is this my problem?. The cars in storage and only gets started once a week but everthing else looks ok. How sholud it be done properly? Cheers Rich :(

91' 16v                                                                     96' Daily Drive

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
Re:CD changer flattening battery?
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2004, 16:28 »
what type of CD changer do you have? and what type of connections are there to the changer?

i.e. A Kenwood CD changer takes its power and "telemetry" from a single multi-core cable from the head unit, and doesnt require any other connections.
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2004, 20:14 »
most changers are powered from the headunit.

if your boot light wires are connected together then the boot light will be on all the time...
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline RKett 16v

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2004, 09:44 »
Its a pioneer 6 disk cd changer with a connection to the headunit but also two power wires coming from it for the power. I'm just presuming the wires connecting to the changer are the old light wire as theres no light it the boot at all when open and the switch for the light has no wires to it. How do i get power to it without it being on all the time even when the ignition isnt on?

91' 16v                                                                     96' Daily Drive

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2004, 11:13 »
add a relay that switches using the remote amp wire off the headunit. that way it'll only be powered then the headunit is on.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline RKett 16v

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 07 January 2004, 14:19 »
Cheers dizzie. Ive got two sets of remote leads in the boot at the moment attatched to the headunit which were for the amps that were in the car before so is it just a case of wiring one of these up to the power wires from the old boot light or do i need the relay also.cheers for the response.  :)

Blue MK2

« Reply #6 on: 07 January 2004, 14:28 »
Ive lost you mate?

Relay to what???

Offline RKett 16v

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 07 January 2004, 16:45 »
think ive got it now, i'll have a mess with it at the weekend and wire it up by using the one of the sets of the remote wires that are already run through into the boot. Hopeflly this will give me power to the changer when the head units on.

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #8 on: 07 January 2004, 17:11 »
I wouldnt advise using a remote wire as a power source, if thats what you intend. They aren't capable of providing the current required.
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Blue MK2

« Reply #9 on: 07 January 2004, 17:44 »
What headunit are you running mate?

The CD changer cable is just in one piece, power and audio signals etc.

The headunit should switch it on/off automaticaly.

Has the cd changer wire been cut/messed with? if so buy a new one or have a go at reparing it. Thas the best way i recon

hope that helps :)