Author Topic: carb freeze?  (Read 2073 times)

Offline [han]

• I live here
  • Graphic Designer for Haribo
carb freeze?
« on: 22 November 2005, 13:35 »
someone mentioned carb freeze is a problem on my car, as they've been told from someone else, who was told by someone else, who was told by someone else... can anyone enlighten me as to what it is?

i have a 1.6 driver 1991 for those of you who don't know! argh! i need to fixx my baby!!!

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re: carb freeze?
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2005, 13:47 »
carb icing at this time of year isnt unusual... thread on it here http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=30278.0

first thing you want to do is check everything is attached as explained in the picture rubjonny posted.

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2005, 13:48 »
thankyou! wanna come fix it for me topher?

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2005, 13:52 »
no :smiley: wench.. bring me more ale. :wink:

dont assume you need a new carb, could be something simple stopping the heat getting to it.. its probably been doing it all the time but in the warmer months it doesnt have any ill effects.

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2005, 13:56 »
yeah its never been 100% but never been this cold! will have to get my dad or my lil bro to check .. will prob be a few weeks before i can get in the garage dammit cos its dark!! will there be a thingy in the haynes? totally forgot i had one... dad bought me it when i got the car.. £2.50 ha ha

topher i'll be your wench if u'll be my b!tch?

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2005, 16:34 »
Make sure the warm air pipe from the exhaust manifold shroud is present & hooked up, and that the shroud is mostly intact.  Then check that the flap in the front of the airbox actually opens, and stays open 99% of the time.  If it doesn't, check the 2 vacuum lines on the side of the airbox are hooked up, and that vacuum is getting to the front pipe.

One thing you can do is hold the flap open with a self-tapping screw, it should be open pretty much all the time even in hot weather!

Next step is to check that the little heater on the front left side of the carb is plugged in & getting 12v, and that the earth strap from the top of the carb to the rocker cover is hooked up.

Edit: and here's the science bit  :grin:
The pressure decrease in the venturi of the carburetor causes cooling. Cooling causes condensation, as cool air can hold less water vapour than warm air.
Vaporization of the fuel requires heat, which is absorbed from the air, causing the air to cool further, and causing further condensation. The combined cooling may result in as much as a 30 C temperature drop in the carburetor.
Ice can therefore form when the outside air temperature is as high as 30 C, but the most likely temperatures for carb ice are between -5 C and 15 C. High humidity conditions will make the chances of carb icing even higher. The ice usually accumulates around the discharge nozzle, the venturi and the throttle valve, restricting fuel flow.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline sellers

• I live here
  • Daz Works in Health and Beauty
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2005, 17:35 »
or just get a weber

more performance
more mpg
no problems
no icing

and all for only 60quid, well thats how much i got mine for

Can't think of a funy or whitty comment

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2005, 18:27 »
there a bit mroe here sellers...  :huh: not even my loca vag group shop thing can get them? rckin horse sh!t!!

Offline sellers

• I live here
  • Daz Works in Health and Beauty
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2005, 20:02 »
ebay get a 2nd hand one han

Can't think of a funy or whitty comment

Offline Golfgal

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2005, 20:14 »
Yup I did thou they always gonna be fussy!
V5 Beetle owner. I'm just here for the misfire threads....