Author Topic: New tyres fitted - good local service  (Read 731 times)

Offline BradHarris

• Not said much yet
New tyres fitted - good local service
« on: 06 June 2009, 12:15 »
Original Dunlops on the front were down to 3mm after 25,000 miles (been rotated once at 9000 miles)
and was about to swap to the back - they still have 4 - 5 mm left !! when I noticed that the front near side had a 10p sized bulge in the outer wall.

So got a couple Vredstein ultrac sessanta's fitted to the front on Tuesday.
They seem a bit softer and more forgiving of small bumps and pot holes, which is what I was hoping for.
Grip and turn in seem good. Not been out in the wet yet.
It was a toss up between these and the Goodyear Eagle F1's,
but they have attracted some mixed comments on here, especially from TT.
Doubt they'll wear as well as the Dunlops, but having seen the bulge, I guess some of the criticisms of
the Dunlops on here may be justified ?

Anyway, I didn't want to drive the car or mess about with the spare so got a company called Hawley's
to come and fit them. Next day service, lad who did it was fine, took his time, took care with the wheels (although wifey has curbed them), cleaned and copper coated the bolts before putting back on, and lifted the rear end to give the Dunlops a good inspection - they appear fine at the moment, but will need close monitoring.
Hawley's are based in Sheffield and I live the other side of Rotherham.
They charged £109 a corner including valve, balancing and removal of old tyres.
Can recommend them.
Black 5dr, DSG, 18" Monza's, Leather, Ipod, MFSR, Highline, Winter + Lux packs.

Offline Merlinman

• GTI forum regular
  • Tornado Red 170ps GT Sport
Re: New tyres fitted - good local service
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2009, 12:31 »
? Shouldn't the wheel bolts NOT be greased? :undecided:

8 June: Just checked the Manual - Section 3.2 p 80 - 'The wheel bolts and threads in the wheel hubs should never be greased or oiled'
« Last Edit: 08 June 2009, 08:38 by Merlinman »

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
Re: New tyres fitted - good local service
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2009, 15:03 »
I have the sport maxx on this hire R32 that I am currently driving. I opted for the Eagle F1's on my own car and I can tell you that the difference between the 2 in unbelievable!!!

Having pushed both to the limit I would go as far as to say that the sportmaxx wouldnt make it on to my bike let alone my car. Last night not only the tail but the front end was pushing out like it was on ice on virtually every round about I could push it on.

Anything would be an improvement on the sport  maxx but i would personally opt for a premium tyre such as the goodyear, mich's, or vredsteins.