Author Topic: 2002 onwards 4motion  (Read 2713 times)

Offline xxx4xyz

• Not said much yet
2002 onwards 4motion
« on: 16 April 2004, 11:36 »
Hi can you give me some pointers please.....

I currently have an old Mark 2 GTi 8V and I am on the search for a replacement.

I love the Golf and am 100% certain on getting a 4motion 2002 or newer. Can you give me some advise on what to look for, and if their are limited editions etc... I have heard that the ones fitted with santa monica alloys have the sports suspension fitted etc.... so as much info as possible would be great!!!!

Cheers guys n girls!!

Dave.  ;)

kniterider

Re:2002 onwards 4motion
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2004, 21:51 »
youll see if they have extras, santa monica alloys were optional a they normall come with 16" simalr design to that on a tt,  sports suspension sits roughly 26mm lower from the factory, other than that i cant really tell you, as each original buyer may choose different options on there new car package!!

Gaz 8)

Offline antgti

• Here all the time
  • 130PD Gti with Van aaken chip to 165 has now gone,
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2004, 22:09 »
well, the v6 4-motion does come with 16's as standard these are the Brands Hatch alloys that are commonly fitted to passatt's.  The V6 only has sports suspension as an option, if you ticked the santa monica option then you automatically get the sports suspension as on any other model. This is not a lot of cop, it is basically a change of springs , which are 15mm lower and harder.  The ports suspension is a ?150 option and  that gives you an idea on how good it is.  The spec is exactly the same as the V5 except you also get a 6 speed box and that rahter tasty rear tailpipe and different rear valance. price start at ?10000 for an early 2000 model. If you are looking for a 2002 model then expect to pay ?12000 +, most seem to start at ?13500. Get one with as many options a spossible, most people who bought these had the money to tick the options box at the same time, so definatley try to get leather and winter pack. an the santa monicas
Me old diesel was quick/........

16.004 sec Qtr mile @ 85mph 23/5/04 Santa Pod

Now running around in soon to be REVO'd Seat ibiza 1.8T 20v FR and missing the fuel economy..............

Offline Rally_Chris

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2004, 09:54 »
Don't buy one without Leather, and preferably don't buy without Leather Recaros - it will be hard to sell on otherwise!

http://www.golfmk4.co.uk
Mk4 Cruise Control Installation Expert

Offline xxx4xyz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 19 April 2004, 22:23 »
Bought one today!!!  Black 7000 miles (53 reg)  leather trim  santa monica alloys etc...fully loaded tinted windows etc etc !!! very happy!!!  cant wait to pick it up on Thursday!!! Oh a snip at ?17K ! (i think it was anyway!!)  nOW WHATS THIS TUNING YOU CAN HAVE DONE FOR ANOTHER ?2k   TAKES IT OVER 300BHP  ANY ONE KNOW!!!???????

DAVE.

Offline richy

• I live here
  • neeeeeeeowm
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2004, 22:39 »
Sounds veeerrrrry nice!  Post some pics asap  ;D

nOW WHATS THIS TUNING YOU CAN HAVE DONE FOR ANOTHER ?2k  TAKES IT OVER 300BHP  ANY ONE KNOW!!!???????

Assume that you mean chipping/remapping it?
« Last Edit: 20 April 2004, 22:40 by richy »
54-plate Golf 2.0 FSI GT.  Leather interior.

Offline xxx4xyz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2004, 09:23 »
Thats it ! remapping etc...is it worth it etc...has anyone already had it done??? How much extra do you get from the car as in performance etc...?? Anyone know please? Will post pics when we have  a dry day to take some snaps!!  ;D

Offline richy

• I live here
  • neeeeeeeowm
« Reply #7 on: 21 April 2004, 10:05 »
Remapping is very common on the 1.8T engine.  Many members in this forum (including Starry and Tophuh I think) have had good results with as much as ~40bhp gain.

I don't think you can get as much increase with a normally aspirated engine, and personally I'd leave your lovely V6 alone (of course it's up to you!).  Amongst the disadvantages are increased clutch and engine wear.

Rich
54-plate Golf 2.0 FSI GT.  Leather interior.

Offline xxx4xyz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 21 April 2004, 11:32 »
yes i think i will leave it (AMD do a supercharger kit for ?4999) which they claim takes it to around 340bhp..but like you say it probably wont dont much for the rest of the components linked to the engine!!  

Now moving on to Alarms etc...I have been told the Clifford 600 is a good one to have fitted anyone with any suggestions as to what they would ahve fitted above of course the standard factory fit one.???????

Cheers,

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #9 on: 21 April 2004, 13:32 »
more and more people are fitting electronic trackers now, I'll soon be having one and they're not as expensive as you might think  :)

www.tracker.co.uk