Author Topic: Burning Smell from Turbo  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Zayd

• Not said much yet
Burning Smell from Turbo
« on: 10 October 2006, 13:42 »
Am I right in believing that the turbo's on MKIV GTI's have a characterstic smell of burning that comes in through the air vents.  I remember that my brother had the same thing on his Subaru Imprezza turbo.
Turbocharged and liking it...

Offline Flipmode

• GTI forum regular
Re: Burning Smell from Turbo
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2006, 18:37 »
not on mine mate, any signs of burning under the bonnet?? sounds like a problem to me

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2006, 18:52 »
^ Agreed, something aint right.

All the time or just when you boot it - when you say burning, do you mean like a burning oil smell or something else?
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline Zayd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2006, 20:59 »
It smells like burning oil.  The car is due for its 70,000 mile service which I believe is just an oil service at this time.  Maybe the oil is old and somewhat burnt.  The car drives perfectly in all other respects.
Turbocharged and liking it...

Offline >>Mart<<

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2006, 22:01 »
if the turbo is not left to cool down ie letting it tick over before turning the engine off and also let it tick over when you start the car in the morning the oil will burn itself onto the turbo because it is getting to hot too quick eventually you may have problems
but check also for leaks hot oil could be leaking from somewhere and dropping onto the exhaust etc that may cause the smell

Offline >>Mart<<

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2006, 22:01 »
i would change the oil and hopefully the smell might go