Author Topic: Dom069 - My 8v Story So Far - Deposit Taken :(  (Read 182050 times)

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
Re: Dom069 - My Mk3 Story So Far, rust removed....new pics!!
« Reply #80 on: 28 April 2010, 23:20 »
Cheers dude  :cool:

In that case I might give it another quick coat of paint then lacquer while its tacky. Sound like a plan??

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
« Reply #81 on: 28 April 2010, 23:21 »
Yup. 8)
Golf MK3 1.8 auto and I didn't pay a grand for the "priveledge" :grin:, auto windows all round and a AC. Oh and I've got a luggage net you pricks!

Does that make my willy look bigger?

Oh yeah it's called Helda or something....

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #82 on: 29 April 2010, 19:25 »
Ok....not pics yet because i'm still not happy with it!

Basically i've spent all day filling and sanding back down, took ages to get a finish I was happy with. Once that was done I cracked on with the spraying, and both sides are now painted pretty well.  :smiley:

The problem is with the lacquer, I gave one side 3 coats before and it has made no difference at all!  :angry:

Yesterday I was playing around with paint and lacquer on a bit of old drainpipe to test it and it worked fine, the finish was even and glossy. I tried it on the drainpipe again this evening and it did nothing! I'm guessing this is because it is too cold for it to work properly(??)

If this is the case then i'll get a heat gun on it all tomorrow and get the garage as warm as possible and try again!!

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #83 on: 30 April 2010, 14:01 »
Ok, pretty much finished now  :smiley:

The final product is good enough for the moment. It's by no means perfect, the paint is a very good colour match but still slightly dull in comparison to the factory paint, also there are minor imperfections where the filler was not completely smooth (even though I was convinced it was  :angry:). But for a first attempt i'm happy with it and it's a hell of a lot better than it was  :laugh:

The most annoying bit about it is that when I was removing some of the masking tape the lacquer had bonded to it as well as the paint and some paint was removed along with the tape  :angry: :angry:

After much swearing I think i'm just going to use a touch up pen on it and hope it doesn't look too bad!

Anyway the (slightly crap quality) pics:

The pictures don't really show the finish due to different reflections and glare etc. but you should get the general idea!

Any feedback welcome!

Offline adzgti3

• I live here
looks like yeah done a real good job there mate. Nice one!!

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
looks like yeah done a real good job there mate. Nice one!!

Cheers!

It's only when your right up close you can see the difference, at the end of the day its not a very prominent bit of the car so it'll do for the moment. Just mega p!ssed off about ripping that little bit of paint off!  :angry:

Offline tdi_blu

• I live here
  • Golf Gti & T4 2.5 tdi
Nice work looks a really good job car looks mint mate  :wink:
Golf Gti

Offline Toopay_MkIII_GT

• GTI forum regular
good finish m8. i have a look around on detailingworld.com alot. im sure with a machine polisher and right cutting compound, you could get that paint work just as bright as original paint.

Offline CCGTI

• I live here
  • Fueled Society
good effort most folk would be scared off with a job like this

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
Cheers for the comments guys :afro:

Quick update time:

good finish m8. i have a look around on detailingworld.com alot. im sure with a machine polisher and right cutting compound, you could get that paint work just as bright as original paint.

I've just cut back the lacquer using a cutting compound and it's polished up a treat! Which is great! :grin:

However I checked over my timing today and it's all spot on  :angry: This may sound like a good thing, but it means i'm still no closer to solving my 'only revving to 5000rpm' problem!

Looks like a new dizzy will be next, but i'm torn between spending money trying to sort this or to spend it making the car look and sound better i.e. pressed plates with surrounds and pipercross filter and then save for coilovers  :undecided:

Also got a squeaking fan belt  :angry:

If I ever have a week when there's nothing wrong with this car i'll be so happy!  :laugh:

Means current list of jobs to be done:

- Fan belt
- Rear wheel bearing
- Dizzy
- Stubby Aerial
- Pressed plates (with surrounds)
- Pipercross filter
- Coilovers
- Smoked fogs/indicators
- Exhaust
- Wheels

.....not much then!