Author Topic: Insurance Help Needed  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Ben_1uk

• I live here
Insurance Help Needed
« on: 04 December 2010, 15:04 »
Hi all,

Long time no speak! I need to renew my insurance on a GT TDI 150 mk4. I'm 28 with 5 years NC, but the cheapest insurance I've received so far is from HIC and comes out at £697! My previous policy with them was £576. Is there anyone else I can try because I don't see why I should pay more than I did last year.

Thanks,
Ben.

Powered by the fuel of satan!

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Insurance Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2010, 15:32 »
Add 2nd (and even 3rd) named drivers with no convictions/accidents and plenty of experience. Drops my premium by £100.

Tweak your job, the difference between "Web Designer", "Managing director" and "Network controller" - under which I fall under all 3, is a £130 difference.

Removing the all-too-popular £20k personal injury cover.

Reducing mileage to that of your previous years MOT to this. I only do 4k per year, so it knocks down my premium.

Fit a Thatcham recognised alarm/immobiliser.

Pass-plus

Reduce number of mods on the car

Fully comp. is usually cheaper than 3rd party for me.

Lower declared vehicle value to something more inline with that of the current market.

Park on a driveway, in a garage, in a car port.

Offline Phil1980

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2010, 17:19 »
Admiral have always been a good price for me, currently paying £450.00 on my car, have you got a lot of mods?
MK5 2005 GTI, BLACK, 3 DR, 18" MONZA II, XENONS

Offline Kazama76

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2010, 12:39 »
i got my golf vr6 under a classic insurance at £266, no claim didnt get taken in effect, but nor do u accumilate them. limited to 5000 miles to. but im happy with that as its just my second "fun" car.

That was with chaucer insurance, will send ya the number if interested

Offline Ben_1uk

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2010, 14:27 »
Add 2nd (and even 3rd) named drivers with no convictions/accidents and plenty of experience. Drops my premium by £100.

Tweak your job, the difference between "Web Designer", "Managing director" and "Network controller" - under which I fall under all 3, is a £130 difference.

Removing the all-too-popular £20k personal injury cover.

Reducing mileage to that of your previous years MOT to this. I only do 4k per year, so it knocks down my premium.

Fit a Thatcham recognised alarm/immobiliser.

Pass-plus

Reduce number of mods on the car

Fully comp. is usually cheaper than 3rd party for me.

Lower declared vehicle value to something more inline with that of the current market.

Park on a driveway, in a garage, in a car port.

I have tried adding my parents onto the policy to bring the premium down put the policy has now increased by about £200! Both have been driving a long time with no accidents or convictions in the last 3-5 years (with the exception of one speeding ticket), so that hasn't worked!

Admiral have always been a good price for me, currently paying £450.00 on my car, have you got a lot of mods?

I have also tried Admiral, but they have come out at £825. When I add my parents the policy goes up to £925?!?! I have no mods at all and cannot get a quote cheaper than £633. It just seems quite expensive still.