Author Topic: Insurance and written off cars  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
Insurance and written off cars
« on: 15 February 2010, 20:19 »
My Mum is looking at getting a new car, and she has seen one she likes but it is a Cat C, now she's wanting to know if she has to tell her insurance company that as she knows. Or is it only if they ask? What would happen if they didn't ask and she made a claim, would it be invalid?

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: Insurance and written off cars
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2010, 20:47 »
You need to tell them, as it is worth less and will reduce the offer in anything happens.

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
  • Bora TDi 130 Highline - usually filthy.
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2010, 21:44 »
Being Cat C it will need to have had a VIC inspection to make sure it's been properly repaired as well. In the event of an accident or theft, most insurance companies will only pay up to 75% of the market value of the car.

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2010, 21:48 »
Premium shouldn't be more but as said payout will be less. I had this discussion with my insurance company as the Polo is a Cat C.

nick

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2010, 21:53 »
Would this be the same case for a car written off because of vandalism? She told me she got it
confused and it's a Cat 5 or something?

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2010, 09:16 »
Category A: Scrap only - this vehicle should have been crushed.  It should never reappear on the road and there are no economically salvageable parts.  It is of value only for scrap metal - e.g. a totally burnt-out vehicle.

Category B: The bodyshell should have been crushed.  The vehicle should never reappear on the road, but it can be broken for spare parts plus any residual scrap metal.

Category C: Vehicle extensively damaged and insurer has decided not to repair. The vehicle should have an independent inspection before being allowed back onto the road.

Category D: Vehicle damaged and insurer has decided not to repair

It varies with Insurers whether they will cover them. Some will not cover CAT C/D's at all but most will require a copy of MOT, engineers report and/or VIC test depending on the category of write off and the insurer.

Hope that helps  :smiley:

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2010, 09:33 »
Would the insurance company not tell when they enter the car details into the computer. I thought it would flag up as an insurance company declared it Cat C. I never knew my old tomcat was Cat C until I sold it !!!!!!!!!

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2010, 10:57 »
Thank you Martin, am I right in thinking there is no such Cat 5? So if my Mum knows it's a Cat car then she needs those documents mentioned? That sounds like a lit of hassle, I will have to tell her to leave it me thinks. Thank you!

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
  • Bora TDi 130 Highline - usually filthy.
« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2010, 22:01 »
Cat 5 iirc refers to a spedific type of security system, usually fitted to such vehicles as Astons, Ferraris etc.

Incidently there's also Cat F for fire damage but I doubt anyone would ever encounter these!!  :grin: :grin:

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2010, 22:05 »
It's okay now, mother-dear has decided to leave the Cat car and look for another, it's not really worth the hassle to her.