Author Topic: How many mk5 owners are going to upgrade to the mk6  (Read 18410 times)

Offline gc76

• GTI forum regular
At the moment I cannot make my mind up if I want to change from my mk5 gti to the mk6.  I took the mk6 out for a test drive last week and really liked it.  I do think it is an improvement over mine and at the time I was ready to order one.  I've had a week to think about it and I am a little unsure if I should now go for it.  Yes it is an improvement but its not that much different to the mk5 and maybe I should be looking elsewhere (Scirocco R, S3 etc....).

Anyone else in the same dilemma. 
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Monza Shadows, Lux Pack, RCD510, Park Assist & FT indicator

"Sounds just like a Golf"

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
Re: How many mk5 owners are going to upgrade to the mk6
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2009, 22:03 »
Like all new golfs the looks are a slow burner and I'm liking it more and more every day.

On paper though its just not worth the extra dosh for the minor upgrades in power and by all accounts handling.  Definately a worthy upgrade when the natural time comes to change but its not THAT special or different to make me want to change now.

I've considered taking a test drive but I'm worried in case that interior makes me want it too much  :lipsrsealed:
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline jtomlin

• I live here
  • 1999 AGU 1.8T GTI
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2009, 22:50 »
scirocco ftw

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #3 on: 09 June 2009, 09:59 »
On paper though its just not worth the extra dosh for the minor upgrades in power and by all accounts handling.  Definately a worthy upgrade when the natural time comes to change but its not THAT special or different to make me want to change now.

Exactly the same view as me. Although when the sad day comes and the MK5 has to go that 'Roco R20 looks SO tempting.

neo66

« Reply #4 on: 09 June 2009, 14:58 »
Not that I can afford to trade up but I would still wait and see what else comes out rather than grabing the first that comes off the shelf, like the R20 and Worthesee 09.

Jkctr

« Reply #5 on: 09 June 2009, 17:18 »
The mk6 gti would be a downgrade for me, so no way! If they put a V6 in it with 4wd i might consider it but it aint gonna happen!

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #6 on: 09 June 2009, 18:12 »
The mk6 gti would be a downgrade for me, so no way! If they put a V6 in it with 4wd i might consider it but it aint gonna happen!

Its an upgrade, the downside for you changing is that the mk6 gti is slower. Doesnt mean its a downgrade.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline jreed110

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 09 June 2009, 22:20 »
Sorry but a newer model doesn't mean it's an upgrade, I can tell you what I'd prefer out of a mk5 R32 and a mk6 1.4 golf and I don't think I'd find many people will disagree. Equally with the similarity between the mk5 and mk6 I'd still hold the ed30 and r32 as superior cars to the current gti, that's not to say the gti isn't a great car however.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #8 on: 09 June 2009, 22:31 »
Sorry but a newer model doesn't mean it's an upgrade, I can tell you what I'd prefer out of a mk5 R32 and a mk6 1.4 golf and I don't think I'd find many people will disagree. Equally with the similarity between the mk5 and mk6 I'd still hold the ed30 and r32 as superior cars to the current gti, that's not to say the gti isn't a great car however.

Here we go again. I'll go slowly this time.

Your..... going...... from......a...... mk5......to ...........a......... mk6............so............its.........an..........upgrade...........regardless............of........... model

No-one is saying a mk6 gti is better than an r32 or ed30.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Schuey

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 09 June 2009, 22:45 »

Here we go again. I'll go slowly this time.

Your..... going...... from......a...... mk5......to ...........a......... mk6............so............its.........an..........upgrade...........regardless............of........... model

No-one is saying a mk6 gti is better than an r32 or ed30.

A MKV R32 vs MKVI 1.4................ Such a balanced comparison  :laugh:

Come on be serious, the MK6 will be the better car, I've owned the standard MK5 GTI, ED30 & R32 & the only one that I would choose aside from the MK6 would be the R32, but for power, noise & grip only.....................But hopefully VW will give us the new R Golf & then I'll be even happier......... But for now I will say the MK6 is the better GTI.