Author Topic: GTI test drive  (Read 7994 times)

Offline neilgcal

• Here all the time
GTI test drive
« on: 18 May 2009, 17:57 »
Was just starting this thread to see what anyone’s comments were on having test driven one and what they thought?

I test drove the DSG and boy she was fast!  I was thinking I would get mine remapped after it arrives but based on the performance from the test drive I won’t need to be doing that anymore!!

I also noticed the suspension is very hard. Much harder than I thought it would be and the car did not have ACC so that must be the standard set up for the UK market. I was considering adding ACC to my order so it was firmer for when driving fast but thinking now I may be better adding it for a more comfy ride as it certainly is firm! I have sports suspension on my mkv GT TDI but it certainly is nothing compared to the GTI.

Apart from that, the steering wheel is lovely as was the DSG gear box and the GTI is better looking in the flesh than some of the pics. Mind you the silver one I was driving wasn’t doing anything for me. Also the exhausts appear larger than you expect from the pics on the web. Liked the Monza shadow alloys too which I know people either love or hate!

Anyone else driven one and have any comments?

Have uploaded some pics for you. The interior shots are rubbish im afraid as the car was still in the showroom when i took them and i was pointing into the daylight.

« Last Edit: 18 June 2009, 17:39 by neilgcal »

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
Re: GTI test drive
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2009, 20:12 »
Phone em up Neil, tell em to add ACC for free or your cancelling  :grin: Say it to them, if they say they cant then just say fine, you never know they may do it.

I didnt goto the dealer at the weekend myself, I don't think its the right time for me as a member of my family is very unwell so don't think its appropriate that I go visiting car garages until things are back to normal.

What about these pics ? Did you take any ?

Don't you think the DSG gearbox takes the fun out of it ? Did you feel that at all ?

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline TagnuT

• I live here
  • Edition 30
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2009, 20:13 »
You mean 100 kmph don't you :wink:
Bye Bye Edition 30

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2009, 20:56 »
Thanks Neil. I still think that looks pretty nice.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline neilgcal

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2009, 20:59 »
You mean 100 kmph don't you :wink:

Ahem ... Yes of course!!!  :laugh:

Offline neilgcal

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2009, 21:03 »
Phone em up Neil, tell em to add ACC for free or your cancelling  :grin: Say it to them, if they say they cant then just say fine, you never know they may do it.

I didnt goto the dealer at the weekend myself, I don't think its the right time for me as a member of my family is very unwell so don't think its appropriate that I go visiting car garages until things are back to normal.

What about these pics ? Did you take any ?

Don't you think the DSG gearbox takes the fun out of it ? Did you feel that at all ?

Ok, thats the pics all up.

I have to say i really liked the DSG! I guess its one of those things you are going to love or hate but i certainly loved it. I used the flappy padels nearly the whole time and it was great especially when you floor it and when it red lines it changes up for you automatically and again when you come to a stop if you don't change down it will do it for you.

I guess it takes away from the gear changes and the clutch and biting points etc but i certainly loved it.

Offline koop22

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2009, 21:54 »
hmmm. not sure it looks any good without the xenons. but im glad you agree when saying it looks alot better in real life!

Offline neilgcal

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2009, 22:31 »
Yeah i think it will look awesome with Xenon's!  :tongue:

Offline jeynesey

• I live here
  • Non VW but still VAG
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2009, 23:32 »
Yeah i think it will look awesome with Xenon's!  :tongue:

Far too expensive