Author Topic: Tyres fitted but damage caused.  (Read 8630 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Tyres fitted but damage caused.
« Reply #30 on: 04 November 2018, 22:33 »
They're about £500 or so on eBay for a semi-automatic tyre changer. I have the same issue, not enough space, otherwise I'd seriously consider it. Along with a steel wheel and a worn tyre to practice with. No way would my first attempt be with my diamond cut wheels!  :undecided: :embarrassed:

Not sure those machines will spin the wheel to determine the new balancing weights? So you either need another machine or you’d still be stuck going to a tyre changer. Sadly the diy route become cost and space prohibitive.

You're right, I hadn't spotted that. The balancing machines are a further £500. Oh well, I was only half serious anyway   :undecided:
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 04 November 2018, 23:10 »
I’m a bit late to the party, what a nightmare with the wheel though Chris.

I’m another that uses a refurbishment company to change my tyres. They tend to take better care or at least understand and appreciate how to mount a tyre without messing up the wheel rim.

A good tyre fitter, like a good mechanic, is such a handy person to know.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #32 on: 05 November 2018, 15:42 »
Had a very similar experience when I had the Austins on mine.

Had a puncture and took it to the main dealer to get repaired (screw right in the centre of the tread) but they didn't have the bits to do it. Sent me to the local FIAT main dealer (this was in Cyprus) who could repair tyres. It was only when I got home that I noticed the masses of scratches across the front of the wheel. Hadn't thought about it at the time but to check where the puncture was, the bloke had stood the tyre upright on the face of the wheel (still on the tyre machine) and pulled it round scraping all the grit in the tyre across the face of the wheel.

Went back to the dealer and (from speaking perfect english previously) suddenly couldn't speak a word. Admittedly I managed to get the majority of them out with G3 cutting compound but it was still a bit gutting on a couple of month old car.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #33 on: 05 November 2018, 18:58 »
How long does it take for new tyres to scrub in? I'm going to get shot down in flames here but I don't like the feel the Michelin PS4's are giving through the steering wheel. Feels very light and floaty and bouncy where the Bridgestones had a better feel a bit more weighty. Checked tyres and pressures are ok so hoping a few more miles they'll improve.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 05 November 2018, 19:14 »
How long does it take for new tyres to scrub in? I'm going to get shot down in flames here but I don't like the feel the Michelin PS4's are giving through the steering wheel. Feels very light and floaty and bouncy where the Bridgestones had a better feel a bit more weighty. Checked tyres and pressures are ok so hoping a few more miles they'll improve.

Hopefully you'll just get some good advice :smiley:

My PS4S were an instant improvement over the Pirellis, better grip and more comfortable. The only negative has been the drone when on the concrete sections of the M25 in Surrey which has a loud resonance, worse than the Pirellis. Not really noticed any difference as they have aged, just grip, grip and more grip. I realise this isn't helping you very much :embarrassed:, hopefully they will settle or they are just different and it'll grow on you? :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline GS WAX

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #35 on: 05 November 2018, 19:31 »

If it helps, try lowering the pressure,
different car I know, but same tyres, I had the same feeling as you with PS4 (225/40/18)when changing from Dunlop’s on my ED35, floaty and vague,and particularly noisy, that was at the recommended pressure of 2.6 bar, lowered to 2.35-2.4 bar and perfection, more grip ,quieter , very stable and the turn in was better.
According to Michelin technical rep. The  PS 4 has very hard sidewalls so at vw’s very high pressures it creates a sensation of being over inflated, which is what youv just described.

Also it will take  100-200 miles for the release agent to fully ware out, sometimes more if it’s really cold..
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #302

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 05 November 2018, 19:48 »
Any suggestions on tyre pressure then. I usually ran 35.8 psi on the Bridgestones on the front and 36 on the rears. Would 35.5 or even 35 be ok for the fronts? Obviously don't want to run them too low and cause wear issues. Advice very welcome 👍

Offline GS WAX

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #37 on: 05 November 2018, 21:40 »
My reccommended pressure is 2.6 bar , not sure on conversion as my gauge only does bar, but I think it’s roughly 37 psi, I have run 2.35 front and 2.4 rear for 9k miles so far the wear is perfectly even(and at last service a month ago were measured at 5 and 6mm)

Depends on the weight of the car but I would imagine your mk7 is lighter than my porky mk6 ed35.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #302

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 05 November 2018, 21:47 »
I've got the pp so it's slightly heavier. 37psi is more than what I'm using now so will make the car even more skittish and jumpy won't it?

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #39 on: 06 November 2018, 02:13 »
I don't think the PS4 steering weight and feel will change much with wear, to be honest.  Mine are now at 4.5k and feel much the same as the day they were fitted (36psi).  The PS4 do steer significantly lighter than the OEM Bridgestones, but with sharper, more direct turn in.  The contrast in weight is considerable, so it may be that you will adjust over time.  And new tyres (even the of the same model) always steer lighter than the older, worn out ones.

Definitely fiddle with the pressures.  On my previous GTI I ran ContiSC5 at 32psi, with the blessing of the Conti tech consultant!  I assume the same applies to the Michelins.  Unless you're really fanging it (ie. on a track) you won't noticeably compromise the tyre's structure, strength or performance.  They'll be fine for road driving.

I'm assuming the alignment is OK? 

« Last Edit: 06 November 2018, 02:46 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.