Author Topic: SoundillusioN - the re-united mk1!  (Read 88392 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: SoundillusioN - the re-united mk1!
« Reply #30 on: 16 January 2011, 19:50 »
Sorted a couple of things out:

Managed to get to the bottom of my last gauge that wasnt working (water temp).. wrong sender connected! So now bar wiring up the front lights the full rewire has worked!.. Think my MFA is toast though.  :sad: Thanks again to those that helped when i got stuck especially rubjonny.. I owe you beers at least!  :smiley:

Think i've got myself a tidy bonnet to pick up soon and a front bumper, found the grille i want on the bay too so hopefully i'll win that!... Just need an N/S wing.

getting there..................  :smiley:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #31 on: 16 January 2011, 19:50 »
little update, fitted a new thermostat, found out what was wrong with the previous one, it was made in france!  wire brushed sill seams and re-painted, gave her a good clean and took some piccies how she as the mo with new rad etc....

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #32 on: 16 January 2011, 19:51 »
bought my coilovers yesterday.... set of HTs  :embarassed: but then quite a few of us on here have as you cannot argue about the value for money when you're on a tight budget.  I know they can be hard but its not my daily and i want it to be pretty damn stiff.  Hope they dont take too long to arrive. (from belgium).  found a full set of new top mounts on the bay and missed them... hoping they come back on as they were a bargain and obviously need to be replaced at the same time.

Dont know what kind of drop i'll manage with the current wheel/tyre combo 195/50/R15s but i'm sure i can get skinnier tyres later.

couple of other boring parts are on the car, new dipstick and guide.  Still need to find an N/S wing!  :angry:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #33 on: 16 January 2011, 19:53 »
Been a while!.... done quite a bit, have a habbit of saying too much so will let the pics do most of the talking.

Replaced or serviced everything to do with the gear linkages but for now am keeping the Scirocco shifter.

PAIN IN THE ASS!!!... Felt like a lifetime and broken fingers to get this back in!

There's loads more pics but you get the idea....  wanna see everything  and how its done, look on MK1 owners, great guide on there, lucky for me i've done it once before on my previous mk1.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #34 on: 16 January 2011, 19:54 »
Finally found a straight OEM bumper for £10 (just need to sort numberplate holder out).... trial fitted with LED indicators

:smiley:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #35 on: 16 January 2011, 19:55 »
Being very patient paid off, i wanted to replace my fooked grille like for like, wasnt easy but found one in the end, OEM £11 delivered!  :smiley:

Just need to swap the badges and spots over

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #36 on: 16 January 2011, 19:55 »
Slight fitting issue with later style cab grille!

:sad:

checked old one and clips had been shaved down and then bolted to slam panel in same location instead.  Have done the same to this one. wired up headlights, first time my rewiring has been put to the test for lighting!  Oh and it must have taken me an hour to put the spots in! There were no little socket clips for the my spots in the new grille, had to swap them over... wasnt easy and nearly broke them all, not designed to come out me thinks!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #37 on: 16 January 2011, 19:56 »
Hit a brick wall!.. Whilst re-wiring the car I failed to notice that the engine loom I fitted didnt have anything for the spotlights!  This was soon obvious after help from rubjonny.  cheers mate!  :smiley: also realised i'd lost my rubber caps for them.... went hunting through all the shizzle i'd stripped out and found them.. It was then I decided that the easiest way to wire the spots in without overloading the feed for High Beam was to upgrade the loom to something better as we all know the standard in a MK1 struggles even with 55w bulbs!

Left new loom in to provide the signal, cleaned up old loom to use its connectors... Here's the setup

There is a seperate feed and relay for each headlight in case a fuse goes to ensure I still have lights, the spots share a thicker feed with their own relay

Thrown in for a test running standard bulbs but will easily cope with 80w/100w bulbs

Result!  :cool:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #38 on: 16 January 2011, 19:57 »
So a lot of stuff has been arriving these past few weeks that i need to crack on with.... Missus is letting me have a spending spree as the house is about done!  :cool:

New coilovers

New Febi Bilstein Top mounts caps and bumpstops for the front

New poly mounts for the rear

New Drums, Pads, Wheel Bearings, Brake Cylinders and Handbrake Cables for the rear

Used Radiator Cowling, mine was buckled in the smash and have bent it back into shape but looks poop, gonna refurb this one as its near perfect.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #39 on: 16 January 2011, 19:58 »
Fitted my front coilovers today.  Havent got spring compressors so haven't done the rear yet and run out of time anyway.

Had recently wire brushed (with drill) inside of the turets and undersealed.
Fitted the new top mounts and lay the collie next to the old setup, quality in its day.  Bilstein shocks and 60mm Eibach springs

once set to almost -80 (a guess at where i could still get the pump jack out) I sprayed everything with this

Amazing stuff  :smiley:

Need new tyres obviously and i'm going to go lower.  Car looks out of shape as bonnet, wing, bumper and grille are not bolted and most of the kit is off.