Author Topic: Manual or DSG?  (Read 103147 times)

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
Re: Manual or DSG?
« Reply #10 on: 09 July 2009, 23:00 »
No, you knock the stick to the left and then can be used to change up and down (by knocking it up for up and down for down) and you can use the paddles. It means when you are turning and the paddles are out of reach you can knock the stick for the next gear.

Some people complain of it not holding gear but a DSG map allows for the gear to be held without changing and for a higher rev limit for a few quid, should come standard but i imagine its to save on emissions and for the common driver.

Oh I didnt know that. I may call a garage and ask if I can take a DSG GTI out.

I wonder how many manual demo cars they have!   :wink:

I had no thought about an automatic and had never heard of the DSG till  I showed up for the test drive.  If the demo car had been a manual I would probably have a manual on order right now (except reading this stuff I might be reconsidering rather smartish).

The dealer didn't try to sell me on it, and I'm only now catching on to some of what was going on and what he said - I accidentally knocked the stick to the left (when parked) and he said, you've just put it into manual.  I didn't even ask him what he meant.

But all the cars I've seen (OK, three) have been DSGs.  I'm thinking, softly, softly catchee monkey....

Rolfe.

Jkctr

« Reply #11 on: 09 July 2009, 23:10 »
Theres loads of tweaks coming out for DSG now. A manual is very simple where as a DSG can be a manual and so much more!

Kickdown delete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6nsSbpx-ps

A nice insight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EdjEE0edPw

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 09 July 2009, 23:17 »
My MKVI is manual and my Scirocco was DSG.

DSG is superb but I think you become a little detached as it's easy to just leave it in auto.  With a manual you have to change gears, with DSG it just adapts to whatever you are doing and gets on with it.  DSG feels luxurious but not as 'raw' as a manual with clutch control.

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 09 July 2009, 23:32 »
It took me a good while to fully get to grips with it (over a month) and learn about how to use it (how much throttle to use to hold gears and when to change for optimum gears) but its so worth it! Great in D, fun in S on the motorway and a blast in manual when out for a spirited drive!

I can see I need to learn.  Actually, not just the DSG.

I have been driving since I was 17.  I passed my test first time.  I've never had a lesson since.  I was almost 32 before I got my first car (I had a motorbike before that), but I've driven about 12,000 miles a year ever since then.

I had riding lessons for years, went on long after I could sit on a pony and walk trot and canter.  I had singing lessons for years, and need more.  Even top pros take lessons.  Actually, even my motorbike lessons were more involving than my driving lessons - these were given by ACU guys, and they were really enthusiastic.  Car driving lessons are just about getting you from A to B and passing the test.

I can see from a lot of these videos that there are driving skills and tricks I'm completely unaware of, stuff you wouldn't try on a public road, and certainly not for the first time.  I guess I'll get to grips with the DSG OK.  But I'm thinking I'd like to learn more.  Never too late to learn, they say.  Does anyone know of any driving courses held on a track where pros will impart some of these car handling skills to the ordinary Joe - or Jill as the case may be?

Rolfe.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2009, 23:34 by Rolfe »

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #14 on: 10 July 2009, 00:03 »

i've driven autos before and whilst you can knock them into a "manual" mode, its not like having a clutch and stick.  now i know that DSG is an automated twin-clutch manual and its beats the spots off most human gear changers, but there's something in the pysche about the art of manually changing gear.  think about those motoring film sequences where they liven the scenes up with copious gear changing!  using paddles is undoubtedly quick and efficient, but it is perhaps too cold and clinical.

i've tried a DSG in a diesel golf before, didn't think that much about it.  will try out a DSG gti this weekend and who knows... perhaps i'll come back a convert (tho a convert that will be £1.5k poorer!)
Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 10 July 2009, 00:06 »
Well, I originally intended to have the leather seats, but changed my mind the other way on that.

So I reckon I'm ahead on the deal.

Rolfe.

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #16 on: 10 July 2009, 09:31 »
How does the DSG cope with 3 to 5 changes or 5 to 3 or 6 to 4 etc?

From what I can gather most people use Auto mode most of the time which is probably what I'd do if I had DSG. And it uses more petrol, not much, but more.

Golf GTI Automatic ?????   (Did they ever exist mk1-4?)  :wink:
« Last Edit: 10 July 2009, 09:35 by GolfTi »
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Jkctr

« Reply #17 on: 10 July 2009, 09:52 »
erm....dsg is actually better on fuel as it sits in higher gears and puts less effort on the engine which means less fuel  :wink: To give you an idea i can get 32mpg in my R32 while in D with no effort to achieve it, just general driving.

It is fine for block changes, just double press the paddle if you want to drop two cogs and you're there in 0.5 secs (or what ever it is lol)

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #18 on: 10 July 2009, 10:30 »
VW official figures show DSG as having a slightly lower mpg, slightly higher CO2 and slower top end (just..)

Obviously it depends on how you drive.

I can get 45mpg out of my mk5 manual GTI when I try. (30mpg when I don't)
« Last Edit: 10 July 2009, 17:49 by GolfTi »
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Jkctr

« Reply #19 on: 10 July 2009, 11:05 »
No they dont mate

(ed30 and R32, cant find GTI)

Ed30 (man)                    R32 (man)
Urban:                          24.8                                18.8
Extra-urban:                 44.1                                33.6
Combined:                    34.0                                26.2

Ed30 (DSG)                    R32 (DSG)
Urban:                          26.2                                21.4