Author Topic: New GTI Clubsport owner  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: New GTI Clubsport owner
« Reply #10 on: 06 April 2021, 13:12 »
Welcome Ash  :smiley:
A very nicely specced Clubsport on its way by the sounds of it.

Interesting views on the Tesla. The Tesla would be more likely compared to a 3 Series BMW with one of the better engines as far as covering ground goes I guess, but it would be great to hear a bit more about its handling and how it pulls you out of tight corners. Being as you come from a background of some of the best handling hot hatches your views would be fascinating.

As for the Clubsport, I’ve had mine for a little over three months, it won’t give you quite the thrills of a CTR but it has a breadth of abilities and feels very up to the minute.   
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline ash_rage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 06 April 2021, 21:27 »
Welcome Ash  :smiley:
A very nicely specced Clubsport on its way by the sounds of it.

Interesting views on the Tesla. The Tesla would be more likely compared to a 3 Series BMW with one of the better engines as far as covering ground goes I guess, but it would be great to hear a bit more about its handling and how it pulls you out of tight corners. Being as you come from a background of some of the best handling hot hatches your views would be fascinating.

As for the Clubsport, I’ve had mine for a little over three months, it won’t give you quite the thrills of a CTR but it has a breadth of abilities and feels very up to the minute.

Thank you.

Few of the CTRs I had were rubbish but I loved my FN2 after I modded it. The FK8 was great but really could have done with a better sounding exhaust, when I had it the US market hadn’t got to modding it and I moved on.

The Tesla couldn’t really handle snow despite being 4WD.

It had great tools once track mode was made available. I did enjoy a few slides with all the power to the rear. Handling wise it felt like a very heavy car. It couldn’t carry speed in corners really. Straight line speed was brutal, it would make my stomach turn when I first got it but quickly became used to it.

Don’t get me wrong is a lovely car, but for me it cost a fortune and I just wasn’t covering the miles to warrant it and I miss the sound of an ICE

I do want to mod the Clubsport, but being a novice to the VW modding scene I don’t know much yet.

By the time I had my last NA CTR I knew the K20 engine series setup like the back of my hand and knew what was limiting and what wasn’t. I look forward to learning about the clubby and in the future modding it

Already got it booked in for wing mirror and roof wrapping. I’ll  coat it too. Then I’ll just wait for mods to become available.

Hondas have this tool for tuning and data logging called hondata, is there an equivalent for this car?
Golf GTI Clubsport 45 (2022)

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 06 April 2021, 22:27 »
If you mean something for probing into the control systems, it's called vcds or obdeleven.

Only thing is that your mk8 along with any other oem's 2021 models have a highly secure computer system as mandated by eu regulations. Volkswagen call it sfd and its unlikely anyone is about to bypass it any time soon. Certainly diy tinkering is off the menu.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 07 April 2021, 15:26 »
As fredgroves says, those are the two main VW diagnostic devices that can be used to dig deep into the car’s brain except... the mk8 has all the shutters down as far as much of the functionality is concerned thanks to security protocols that have been increasingly stringent on each successive generation of ECU.
Same goes for OBD modding, they can’t crack the security yet.

I think if anyone wants more power out of a Clubsport mk8 right now they’d have to take the add-on box route which isn’t ideal (there’s always going to be a very slight lag using these devices unlike an ECU remap) but the Burger Motorsports JB4 is almost as good as a full remap. I’m
Not sure if it’s available yet for the mk8 though, but they will be working on it.

For chassis tuning I’d be wary of anything that messes with the carefully set up geometry. VW spent a fair bit of effort and time on this feature.
Early days yet though and it won’t be long until stuff comes to market from the big boys of VW tuning.

I’m also thinking about mirror and roof wrap for my Clubsport. I won’t be going further than that with mods though. I’m trying to change a habit of a lifetime!

It’s very interesting reading your further thoughts on the Tesla. I wonder how you’ll rate the Clubsport after all that EV thrust?!

One of my workmates is heavily into JDM stuff so I’m quite familiar with NA Civics, they’re too much like hard work for me! I’ve never been one for wringing the neck of cars for performance, I like lazy easy power  :grin:
He currently has two JDM imports, an FD2 and a 2013 ish Scooby hatchback which apparently runs slightly lower displacement than Euro STI’s but is better(?). No idea why, it’s all Japanese to me! I’ve been messing about with VW’s for something like 34 years so have a bit of familiarity with the brand but am pretty clueless about everything else.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline ash_rage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 05 May 2021, 18:14 »
Cancelled my CS  order today and agreed a deal with DTD for a CS45, waiting for the dealer to call me back
Golf GTI Clubsport 45 (2022)