Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785992 times)

Offline Bungleaio

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #3270 on: 07 November 2015, 13:23 »
My sisters boyfriend and a good mate of mine have both had bad experiences at listers Nuneaton  so I think they are all as bad as each other.

Parkway Leicester is a lot more convenient for me so I'm not giving up on them yet.

Putting the wrong wheel on was an easy mistake, it took me a while to notice.
Abarth 595 Turismo + Classic Mini + Triumph Street Triple RS
Did have 3door DBP GTI PP

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #3271 on: 09 November 2015, 17:57 »
I know there is a detailing section but this question isn't worth its whole thread and the peeps who have the answers are here too  :wink:

Windscreen. Clay then polish or polish then clay?

My wipers now again smear since replacing them with supposedly the same type!
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3272 on: 09 November 2015, 18:40 »
I know there is a detailing section but this question isn't worth its whole thread and the peeps who have the answers are here too  :wink:

Get some Bosch Aerotwin A864S, or take a punt on these for almost half the price and tell us all if they were any good: http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/vw-golf-hatchback-years-2012-to-2015/trico-exactfit-efb6517r-replacement-and-trico-exactfit-efb4517r-replacement-twin-pack-wiper-blades/
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3273 on: 09 November 2015, 18:43 »
Had the perfect commute tonight - no hold ups, no slow downs, a few opportunities to bury the throttle pedal and 34.5mpg for my 21 mile trip. Perhaps the mpg was due to gale force winds blowing in the right direction for most of the trip home.

Offline Bungleaio

• Here all the time
« Reply #3274 on: 09 November 2015, 19:34 »
Not today but at the weekend. Called in the new supermarket covered carpark just to take a photo.

Abarth 595 Turismo + Classic Mini + Triumph Street Triple RS
Did have 3door DBP GTI PP

Offline Cossieian

• Here all the time
« Reply #3275 on: 09 November 2015, 19:42 »
Not today but at the weekend. Called in the new supermarket covered carpark just to take a photo.

Wow, lovely :cool:
Must do that myself soon :smiley:
Current: MK7 Golf R (Limestone Grey) DSG, 19 Prets, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, High Beam Assist, Apple Connect, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf R (Tornado Red) DSG, Winter Pack, Keyless, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf GTD (Pure White)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3276 on: 09 November 2015, 20:00 »
Nice shot, Bungleaio.  :cool:

Supermarket carpals are good for some things!
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3277 on: 09 November 2015, 20:10 »

What wipers are they?  Valeos?  If so best thing to do is swap them for Bosch Aerotwin 864S. Cheapest price around is £24.95.  I fitted mine last week, from here:

http://www.windscreenwipersdirect.co.uk/a864s-bosch-aerotwin-wipers-26-650mm-18-450mm.html

Always clay then polish.  But that said, I wouldn't polish glass and definitely not the main windscreen. I'm sure it's been covered in the detailing section, but if using a machine polisher on glass you have to be very careful, otherwise you can create a 'dip' or hollow (fisheye) in the glass which can cause havoc from a vision point of view. 

I would just clay it carefully then give it a good wash, and leave clear of products, though many seem to rate Gtechniq G1 Smart Glass.  Do not use RainX.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #3278 on: 09 November 2015, 21:42 »
Alas booth and MH they were the fabled Bosch with an S wipers, the previous set were too with little trouble. I have recently purchased a random set like the ones you have suggest MH yet still the smear resides so either it is my windscreen or it is my arm itself :( possibly bent whilst cleaning who knows.

Yes booth you are correct I have asked re: machine polishing but this will be a light hand buffing. I didn't know if I should clean then polish and then clay to finish (leaving screen free of any residue) or clean then clay and finally polish to finish off so to speak.
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3279 on: 09 November 2015, 21:56 »
Graham - Vinegar and newspaper on the windscreen - surprisingly the "ye olde" way works best at clearing residue.

Trouble with modern blades is that they're not very robust. Once that graphite dusting is gone, they're buggered.