Author Topic: Advice on best polishes/waxes  (Read 3158 times)

Offline sundaydriver

• I live here
Advice on best polishes/waxes
« on: 03 November 2009, 14:49 »
Ive bought a new golf gti mk6 which is about a month old now but had some problems with dreaded swirl marks which are getting corrected tomorrow. Just need some advice on how to avoid them and to keep the car looking good.

Ive gone and bought two buckets with grit guards, lambswool mitt and already have loads of autoglym shampoo but dont know which polish/wax to buy.

Am i right in thinking polish will give the car a shine and the wax gives it a protective coat?

Any advice on which products to use and how to use them would be greatly appreciated

2012 Golf R, APR STAGE 2+, BCS power valve TB exhaust, loba HPFP, evoms intake, Rising blue, 19" Talladegas -BMW M2

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: Advice on best polishes/waxes
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2009, 15:45 »
who is correcting your car if you don't mind me asking? vw?

Offline sundaydriver

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2009, 16:31 »
No dont mind you asking, its being done by paul @ wonderdetail 

www.wonderdetail.co.uk

2012 Golf R, APR STAGE 2+, BCS power valve TB exhaust, loba HPFP, evoms intake, Rising blue, 19" Talladegas -BMW M2

Offline dragonfly

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2009, 16:34 »
There is a fair few threads on this subject and plenty of recommendations. Polish will indeed give you the shine and wax the protection.

Get a decent drying cloth as well - Sonus, Poorboys etc.

Offline sundaydriver

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2009, 16:36 »
Thanks for that, any particular polish wax?

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 03 November 2009, 16:43 »
Thanks for that, any particular polish wax?

There is a fair few threads on this subject and plenty of recommendations.

===========================

No dont mind you asking, its being done by paul @ wonderdetail 

www.wonderdetail.co.uk

ok cool... well as he'll be correcting you won't need to panic about polish too much... but don't be afraid to ask him about waxes etc too... he might have some samples etc for you to try

it would be wise to wax asap after your correction, if not as part of the correction

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2009, 09:13 »
any of the collinite waxs are good.

polish wise, menzerna,3m,britemax, take your pic :wink:
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline sundaydriver

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2009, 17:05 »
Well had the paint corrected today to remove the swirls but when ive come home to have a look it still has quite a few, is this normal? I thought that it would remove the vast majority of them.

We have a security light at the top of the drive and the first thing i noticed was the marks on the bonnet, i cant tell anywhere else as the light only catches the bonnet so god only knows what the rests like.

I feel like getting him back out but not sure, any thoughts appreciated.

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #8 on: 04 November 2009, 17:53 »
Well had the paint corrected today to remove the swirls but when ive come home to have a look it still has quite a few, is this normal? I thought that it would remove the vast majority of them.

We have a security light at the top of the drive and the first thing i noticed was the marks on the bonnet, i cant tell anywhere else as the light only catches the bonnet so god only knows what the rests like.

I feel like getting him back out but not sure, any thoughts appreciated.

get an led torch and go round the car and get some pics if poss for evidence :wink:, you may find more :cry:
 if its been done properly it should be ultra smooth and soft to the touch and have no swirls at all.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline sundaydriver

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2009, 18:00 »
Its smooth to the touch but only had a look at a small patch on the bonnet and noticed them straight away, not happy at all!

The wife was in when he did them and told her he had removed 80% of them and the rest where too deep!