Author Topic: kae - black mk3 8v  (Read 10413 times)

Offline kae

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 8V GTI - Almost Standard.....
Re: kae - black mk3 8v
« Reply #10 on: 06 January 2008, 17:18 »
Continuation of yesterday's rusty trauma!

Have now put the boot back together, sealing everything in with silicone sealant (where the original rubber type seals have perished and broken up).
I've found Halfords very useful in providing plastic nuts and bolts, so I've sealed the bolt end into the bumper, and hopefully I will able to screw the trim into these when they've set...
New number plate now on and makes it look much better!

Kae.
It if can't be achieved with brute force and ignorance, then the Haynes manual will have to be read!

Offline kae

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 07 January 2008, 17:46 »
Ok, so plastic bolt and screw was a bad idea, and the silicone sealant wasn't the "bonding" variety that I've used in the past (Should really read the tube before I use it  :rolleyes:).

So, I've used Liquid Steel to stick the plastic nut into the hole, then used a metal self tapping screw to hold the trim on.  JOB DONE!

Also eventually stuck my Golf GTI.co.uk sticker onto the rear window (that was a pain as it kept leaving bits behind! lol).  Don't know whether I like it there, but I can always remove it and use one of the other's somewhere else.

Not done much else today, as I've been getting ready for a new job tomorrow  :cool: :smiley:
Lets hope the GTI is up to the new daily commute of 45miles..... (Then again, its been ok with 2K miles since I bought it in early December.....).

Kae.  :cool:
It if can't be achieved with brute force and ignorance, then the Haynes manual will have to be read!

Offline kae

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 20 January 2008, 16:45 »
Finally - some finished paintwork. 

Sprayed the rust bubble on the lower N/S rear panel, the scratch on the lower N/S front bumper and the badge back all in VW black!
The paint you get from the stealer's seems good stuff.
You get 150ml of paint and varnish in rattle cans for £9.50 for the pair - not bad really  :cool:.

AND!!!!

I have fond the cause of my very slow dropping coolant levels! It isn't the Head Gasket  :smiley: just a little leak in the radiator - that's much better news  :rolleyes:.  Let's see if radweld works as well in VW's as it does in Fords :D.

I don't get it, this car has needed more work than any of my previous cars, but I just love it?!?!?

Kae.

Offline kae

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 15 April 2008, 20:56 »
ICE ICE BABY!!!!!

Ok, so at times like these I'm glad my work colleagues don't read this forum...... All because I've got a serious job doesn't mean I have to be serious all the time!  :laugh:

Ok, so I bought 4 Fusion 6.5" Speakers, 4 Tweeters, 2 X-overs and wiring.

I want to keep it looking standard.  I've only done the backs so far (Last Sunday afternoon's job), so I decided to keep the old tweeter housing and just modify it slightly....

Please excuse the poor photo quality, it was only done on my phone (I'm not getting the decent kit out, or I really will be labelled!).

The speaker's I've just installed behind the standard grills and the X-overs I've installed beneath the rear bench. 

Only the fronts to go!  :cool:

Kae  :smiley:

Offline kae

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 13 August 2008, 21:26 »
Really nothing exciting has happened since installing speakers.

The ABS rear driver's side sensor developed a fault a couple of months ago, and after it being on my todo list, I eventually did it last night.

What a pain in the ar*e!

Old sensor refused to come out, then the new sensor refused to go in!  Took 2.5 hours from start to finish.

However, watching the ABS light go out after driving 100yards was very much worth it!

Brakes are now back in full operation!

Kae.