Author Topic: Limp mode 3 cylinders  (Read 1298 times)

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
Limp mode 3 cylinders
« on: 11 March 2015, 15:10 »
Driving home from work today and was giving it a bit of a blast without traction control. Slammed it in first to the redline and BAM....ECL and the car felt like it was running on 3 cylinders, very juddery and no power available. Pulled over, turned it off and on again and all running as normal......I'm a little concerned by car is die, and I'm driving it to France in 2 weeks.

Anyone have any idea?
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Re: Limp mode 3 cylinders
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2015, 15:17 »
My Astra VXR used to do this on occasion - mainly when I'd not let it warm up fully  :whistle:

The same procedure would reset it - it was like this for 10's of thousands of miles with no issues.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2015, 15:20 »
This was after a good hour and a half driving. My concern is my turbo....please tell me my turbo is safe :D
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2015, 16:26 »
Did you over rev the engine ie. down shift to first to early? If you did there will be an over rev fault code in the ecu and vw can refuse warranty claims.

My car did this once after idling for over an hour (I was doing vcds tweaks). The car dropped a cylinder and got a dash light. Turned off and on and all was well again. That was over 12 months ago and it has not happened since.
Current: His: 2020 M340i   Hers: 2019 GTD

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2015, 17:15 »
please tell me my turbo is safe :D

Your turbo is safe  :grin:
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline gazmondo35

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2015, 20:21 »
I had the same thing happen to me, I was racing up the slip road to join the motorway ,when All of a sudden the car went into limp mode, at the time I thought turbo had blown ,but after 10 minutes the power come back & have had no problems since, i put it down to having revo on it & the car protecting itself.
Mk7 golf R DBP
MK7 golf gti pp red (sold)