Author Topic: Can anyone comment on Golf GTi/D v Scirocco Pros & Cons ?  (Read 4874 times)

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
Re: Can anyone comment on Golf GTi/D v Scirocco Pros & Cons ?
« Reply #10 on: 03 March 2015, 18:56 »
I had a scirocco R when they first came out, it was nice but the visibility is not very good at all, i would get a Golf, in fact i did  :cool:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 03 March 2015, 20:36 »
If you don't need heaps of family space then a Scirocco makes a good case for itself still.
A good friend of mine is the branch manager at a leasing company and they had, as pool cars, two mk7 GTIs (manual), one manual GTD and a DSG GTD plus a pair of Sciroccos up until very recently. I think one of each remains with them and I've spent a bit of time in each.
The Sciroccos are 150 TDI's and feel a bit sluggish but aside from that are still huge fun to drive and although the chassis isn't as accomplished as the MQB cars they're by no means bad cars now and drive really well at normal road speeds. They feel more lively to drive and where as nobody gives a Golf a second glance by and large you do get lots of attention in the Scirocco, all of it friendly and most of it from women so I guess its image is a bit like that of a MINI.

The Golf is so good it's boring, but the Scirocco isn't quite as good and seems to have a bit more character.

Then again I drive a Golf GTI and love it so I'm not sure what that says about me?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 03 March 2015, 20:41 »
But if its a choice between the two and they were the same money then you go for the new gen tech.
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 03 March 2015, 20:44 »
But if its a choice between the two and they were the same money then you go for the new gen tech.
Hence why 99% of us are on this forum I guess

And that's the point isn't it, if the Scirocco was a bargain then it's worth snapping up but at the same money as a Golf...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 03 March 2015, 20:46 »
I think its ridiculous of vw tbh, the only people who should be buying rocs right now are those who live in a cave with no internet connection imo

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 03 March 2015, 21:31 »
I think its ridiculous of vw tbh, the only people who should be buying rocs right now are those who live in a cave with no internet connection imo

That did make me smile  :grin:

Issue is where the Rocco is on the development programme, seems to be 5 years along the platform, TT always comes out after around 2 and Beetle is the last

I actually think because its not so good its fun does not really cut it for me on the Roc, have to admit this is the case on the Polo where you can have giggles but in a car that £8k-£10K cheaper

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 04 March 2015, 08:11 »
Thanks Guys, interesting views.  The main appeal was the price, clearly the model is on the way out and nearly new models at well under £20k look quite good value - not so much compared to the Mk7 GTi but compared to other marques.

The issue for me is I have a 330ci as a weekend car, and its a 2 door and my gf has an Audi A1 3 door, so it makes little sense to get another 3 door car, wheareas I can make ( aka justify to the Mrs) something like a golf because it would be a long term keeper an going for a 5 door would future proof it a bit...  I do remember when I first drove the Mk7 GTi I loved the " just get in and drive quickly" feeling about it - some might say boring but as an everyday car I keep coming back to it.  It also helps that mainstream Golfs are not cheap so by the time I spec up a Tdi GT or something, its only about 3-4k cheaper than a GTi.

I noticed Clarkson made reference to how good the Golf Gti is in the Sunday Times again this week actually.  Whenever I convinvce myself I dont need to get one, i see either a rave review or someone here posts a pic of theirs !! 

My locaal dealer has guaranteed me a 10% discount + deposit contribution if I order, so its going to take a lot of willpower to resist plodding in there soon..
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline kenny.c

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 04 March 2015, 09:02 »
We moved from a 2.0 TSI Scirocco to a MK7 Golf GTI......

Plus points
Ride quality and handling are in a differant league in the Golf compaired to the Scirocco
Build quality on our Golf has proven better (although other's may disagree)
Better tech and system intergration on the MK7
Great standard spec
Got rid of the framelsss windows....they are a pain in the arse when the weather is cold

Minus poit
My opinion is the Golf doesnt look as good
Fuel economy doesnt seem as good it the Golf (about 4-5mpg less) could need more miles to improve
Do see more GTI's around than I did the Scirocco
The Dynaudio in the Scorocco was better than the MK7 Dynaudio
The "city brake" system sometimes seems to complain unnecessarily - although I may thank it one day!!

Overall im happy with the swap to the GTI.....the better ride and handling really does make up for any negative points.

Ken
GTI - PP

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 04 March 2015, 14:05 »

The issue for me is I have a 330ci as a weekend car, and its a 2 door and my gf has an Audi A1 3 door, so it makes little sense to get another 3 door car, wheareas I can make ( aka justify to the Mrs) something like a golf because it would be a long term keeper an going for a 5 door would future proof it a bit... 

You've got a "gf" and a "Mrs"? No wonder the suave debonair Scirocco is calling your name, you old rogue you!  :laugh:

Seriously, if you asked on the Scirocco forums they'd have a bit of a different opinion I'd guess (apart from wigit!) and it was fairly traditional for the Scirocco in the olden days to run with the previous generation running gear and this doesn't mean it's a bad car, just it's not had the same level of investment as VW's fave cash cow the Golf.

Most of us are on this forum quite like our cars (understatement) and we've owned all sorts of things between us and we look at different cars all the time. However the common denominator we keep coming back to is the GTI as it's just so outstandingly balanced and hence the reason we own them.
Throw it into a corner and there is just NO understeer, same for the GTD, which is the standout feature of the MQB. It's a bit spooky at first. It drags you round rather than wanting to plough straight on.
All cars have their good points and many have plus points that the GTI/D doesn't have but the GTI/D has that blend where it's just about right.
Clarkson has always been a bit of a GTI fan but when you bear in mind the things he gets to drive every day the fact he still drops in the GTI name quite regularly must mean VW have done something very right (££££ in his back pocket the cynical will say!) for a complete speed freak like him to remember it amongst some of the things he climbs in and out of daily (and I'm not referring to his 'assistants').

Thanks to Leasegate you can pick GTI's up new at quite healthy prices now and despite the apparent 70 - 80 PS difference between a GTI and an R you might be a bit surprised how a GTI can over perform in that company unless you're flat out drag racing on a track, it ain't THAT far behind!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 04 March 2015, 14:47 »

In particular I would love to know if anyone ran a 140 TDI with DSG compared to say a Golf GT diesel or GTD.

One other thing we have forgotten, this is no comparison to mk7 GTI and a 15 plate GTI engined roc. This is 13 plate Golf (150 or 184) against a 140...