Author Topic: Rear Number Plate Light - GONE!  (Read 3422 times)

Offline mattlittle

• Not said much yet
Rear Number Plate Light - GONE!
« on: 27 February 2015, 15:32 »
Took my GTD in to the dealership for a service last week and they noted that one of the LED lights that illuminates the rear plate has gone. <Cue dramatic music>

They suspect that it has disappeared inside the bumper.

I tried to claim off the warranty as these things shouldn't just disappear but (although they can't see any damage to the car) they suspect a knock from someone on the rear might have caused it.

Does anybody have any idea how I can get inside the rear bumper to where it may have fallen into?

I'd like to save myself the £104 it will take to get a new one fitted.

Offline Vedubber

• Not said much yet
Re: Rear Number Plate Light - GONE!
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2015, 15:53 »
£104!!!

Buy some from ebay for about £25!!
MY13 Polo GTI - MY14.5 Golf GTI PP - Now MY15 VW Up!

Offline mattlittle

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2015, 16:03 »
£104!!!

Buy some from ebay for about £25!!

I think that the majority of the £104 was labour to remove the bumper. If I can do it myself, I definitely will.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2015, 16:16 »
Is the wiring still there but not attached to anything?
If so I doubt very much if the unit is inside the bumper. If the wiring can't be seen can you not just fish it out with something hooked?

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline mattlittle

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2015, 16:21 »
Is the wiring still there but not attached to anything?
If so I doubt very much if the unit is inside the bumper. If the wiring can't be seen can you not just fish it out with something hooked?

There is just a hole. Nothing else to see.

I'll try a coat hanger this weekend but just wondered if there was a clever hatch or something that might give access to the right area?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2015, 16:23 »
When my GTD got rear ended, both numberplate lights were pushed up and into the bumper a little, but not so much that you couldn't see it and that was a 20mph clout that dented and split the bumper. If someone has tickled your car with a 3mph kiss then I doubt yours have popped into the bumper.

Chances are someone has popped it out, uncoupled it from the wiring, pushed the wiring into the hole and made off with it. Shocking that VW didn't design these better in terms of security seeing as they go to the effort of protecting your wipers under the back of the bonnet.

Get a wire coathanger in there and find the loose end (carefully), then buy a new one and fit it yourself in seconds.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2015, 16:24 »
Can you get up in under by the exhaust back box? Otherwise the plastic trim around the exhaust is fairly easy to remove then you'll have good access in there.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mattlittle

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2015, 16:27 »
Can you get up in under by the exhaust back box? Otherwise the plastic trim around the exhaust is fairly easy to remove then you'll have good access in there.

Cheers - I'll try both this weekend and report back.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2015, 16:33 »
I've not taken the trim off my mk7 but on the mk6 it was just a few torx screws underneath then a load of plastic lugs held it in place at the top that you've got to ease off gradually. It only takes ten mins.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2015, 17:46 »
Surely if the light has pushed up inside if you turn the lights on you will see something glowing
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA