Author Topic: Real life mpg differences between Gti pp and an R  (Read 4357 times)

Offline Duggy72

• Just got here
Real life mpg differences between Gti pp and an R
« on: 24 February 2015, 19:07 »
Hello all,

I am interested in changing my car.  Currently have a 2.7 tdi Audi allroad a6 C6 model.  As a day to day car I can't fault the Audi, comfortable and quattro gives reassurance in poorer weather.

Recently I've been thinking that I don't really need a huge barge, wanted to get a bit of fun back. The Gti pp seems to tick all the boxes but if the R has similar fuel economy (real world figure not VW data) then that might be something to consider.

Anyone had experience of both and can comment? 

Many thanks. :smiley:

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
Re: Real life mpg differences between Gti pp and an R
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2015, 19:48 »
I can't comment on the R but I do have a PP GTI remapped to 320BHP. My average MPG is 34 over the past 1200miles.
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline carl1

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2015, 19:54 »
Iv'e borrowed my mates R for a couple of hours a few times and over 20 miles of A and B roads mixed driving it was about 7 mpg, i found i could get it closer in the R but i had to think about it were as the GTI i never thought about and still got good mpg and i suppose i could get even better if i tried. But this very limited experience as i said, also iv'e hardly done any urban miles in the R.

Jimble has had both so he would know best. 
GTI manual PP, now sold  :-(

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2015, 20:37 »
I get mid-30s in my GTI PP driving daily to work and back on B roads, car in Sport mode most of the time. On the motorway I can get 40-45 MPG on cruise control and car in Normal mode. 

I am not too bothered about MPG as I didn't get a GTI for fuel economy but I would say the consumption is decent enough for this amount of power.
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2015, 20:45 »
Obviously driving style makes a difference but there wasn't a great deal between my DSG GTI and my manual R, maybe 2-3mpg on a sedate motorway run so about 38 from the GTI and 35-36 from the R which ain't bad at all really, about 3-4 round town, if you're only pootling around it's quite easy to get 25-26 round town from the R but it'll be low to mid teens when pressing on which you find yourself doing quite a bit in the R tbh, just lately i've stopped bothering with mpg so much, it used to be one of my pet peevs that the cars wouldn't get near manufacturers numbers but now i just set the display to current speed and forget about it!! :laugh:

Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Duggy72

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2015, 22:16 »
Thanks for the replies.  Next step is to try them both. :smiley:

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2015, 13:47 »
GTI PP (Manual) - Averaged 31 (19,000 miles)
R (DSG) - Average 26 (6,000 miles)

I nail/nailed it in both when it's safe to do so  :evil: otherwise its a mix of town & motorway driving (usual rush hour malarky!)  Hope that helps!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Duggy72

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2015, 18:50 »
Thanks. :smiley:

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 26 February 2015, 19:04 »
26mpg is about right at this time of year. Not sure 48mpg would ever be seen.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2015, 19:28 by ajmoir36 »
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 10 March 2015, 20:49 »
GTI PP with APR Stage 1.  I regularly drive around 90 miles on the motorway at a time and can get 40 mpg sitting on Adaptive Cruise in Eco mode at around 78 mpg.

Having said that I can also struggle to get 34 mpg if I'm "having fun" on the same route. Pure urban driving is about 28 mpg.

Long term average over 19,000 miles has been 34 mpg.