Author Topic: Golf R Line  (Read 23359 times)

Offline AndyG

• Here all the time
Re: Golf R Line
« Reply #10 on: 14 February 2015, 18:49 »
SE no longer available,Match taken its place.
I would still just get the GT as you get sat nav as standard,you don't with the R-line.GT looks better IMO.
Golf 7R,DSG,5 door White,leather,rear camera.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 14 February 2015, 21:32 »
It may well be my next car, well the car for my wife to ride around in anyway. I certainly wouldn't buy a new one, so the near £30k price tag is irrelevant. I can see used ones being around the £20k mark this time next year.

I really like the styling and think that the performance is acceptable. I'm really not that fussed about going quickly theses days. Our current 140 GT is a cracking all rounder, so this car with the correct amount of pedals (i.e. 2) would make a perfect replacement.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 14 February 2015, 21:54 »
We are thinking of a Mk6 gt 140 dsg as a daily runner / workhorse actually I like the look of them more than any of the non gti golfs and prefer the wheels to the gtd

Pleased with yours  ?  Decent mpg ?
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 14 February 2015, 22:03 »
I had a mk6 gt 140. Best car I have ever owned. (Including my GTI) amazing cars. I got an average of 56-60mpg per tank.
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 14 February 2015, 23:16 »
It may well be my next car, well the car for my wife to ride around in anyway. I certainly wouldn't buy a new one, so the near £30k price tag is irrelevant. I can see used ones being around the £20k mark this time next year.

I really like the styling and think that the performance is acceptable. I'm really not that fussed about going quickly theses days. Our current 140 GT is a cracking all rounder, so this car with the correct amount of pedals (i.e. 2) would make a perfect replacement.

So in 5 door DSG form could be just what you're looking for then.  But that R badge on the front will have to come off  :tongue: 

I'm really not keen on the current vw approach with the R line which does does undermine the identity of the .:R
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 15 February 2015, 09:34 »
Those that know will always know and always give an appreciative not to the real thing. Those that don't wouldn't know what an .:R is anyway.

Dresser, our GT is a manual, but I also have a 140 DSG Passat which has converted me two 2 pedals. The Golf is a cracking car. It will do mid 60's mpg on a long steady run and sees an average of high 50's day in day out. Those are real figures worked out with maths. The computer would suggest it's better.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 15 February 2015, 10:36 »
First things first: The R line mock ups make the wheels look like they fill the arches nicely and the suspension nice and low. The car doesn't look quite like this in the flesh.
The R line has been available on the continent for yonks - it's just the modern equivalent of the Driver model which was popular for years and years. Sporty looks but slow and soggy compared to contemporary GTIs.

The current GT is an insult to the GT badge. Just a Highline model with a GT badge. The motoring equivalent of a muddy puddle. Dull to look at and 'just another Golf' to drive.

I think the R line will sell well. Looks good, should drive ok and will be cheapish to run.
« Last Edit: 15 February 2015, 15:25 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 15 February 2015, 10:51 »
I guess those of us that choose to spend less of our money on a car lower down the ranks, should expect.to be looked down on from those who have to have the best.

I hope they do sell well as this time next year there will be plenty of used ones to choose from. That will do me nicely.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 15 February 2015, 11:17 »
Don't get me wrong, I'm looking solely at the mk7 here.
The GT looks dull as crap.
I actually prefer the GT in mk6 guise externally to most of the range especially when kitted out with 18" wheels.
Same with the late 'big bumper' mk5 GT and GT Sport, they looked sharp.

The mk7 needs an R line, just like the mk1, 2 and 3 needed a Driver model to visually lift the looks.
Fortunately the mk5 and later Golfs have better suspension as standard across the range.
As for engines, well how much power can you actually use on UK roads? Not a lot!

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 15 February 2015, 12:25 »
totally agree

in mk5 and 6 form I think a nicely specced GT in either petrol or diesel form looks really nice, along with the benefits of lower running costs... they had a bit of identity.. and looked decent as an alternative to GTi

In Mk7 format the GT model seems to have lost any appeal in my view, the Match is better value.  Partly down to the awful choice of alloys you seem to be able to get on std Golfs, generally speaking. 

Even the standard 17 inch Portos on the Mk6 GT or optional 18inch vancouvers which I think look great, are better than the current choice of Mk7 alloys, apart from the GTi std ones which I like. 
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2